The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As regular visitors to this thread may be aware, I have a new pair of glasses, the frame of which goes by the name Lucy.

What I was unaware of when I acquired the goggles was that St Lucy is the patron saint of sight. Perhaps I am giving the manufacturers too much credit for being clever here. Intriguingly, though, she is also the patron saint of writers, a pleasing coincidence.

As regular visitors to this thread may be aware, I have a new pair of glasses, the frame of which goes by the name Lucy.

What I was unaware of when I acquired the goggles was that St Lucy is the patron saint of sight. Perhaps I am giving the manufacturers too much credit for being clever here. Intriguingly, though, she is also the patron saint of writers, a pleasing coincidence.

I always thought Lucy was a fairly modern name but what would I know...

I always thought Lucy was a fairly modern name but what would I know...

The derivation is from Latin (lux, light, possibly also a link to sight in this context). The name seems to have been introduced by the Normans (them again), so it's been around in Britain for a good while, though not as far back as St Lucy (Lucia) of Syracuse, she of the eyesight, martyred in the early 4th century.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, yesterday while cooking dinner I picked my phone up and thought I took it into the kitchen to check on the chicken, I did a few things in the kitchen then looked for my phone. Do you think I could find it, I retraced my steps, even looked In the oven, nowhere to be seen, after about 10 mins I heard it beep with a Facebook notification, I looked where I thought it sounded like, it was on the table, my table has a black table cloth on it, my phones in a black cover, it was upside down, it blended in. I don't remember leaving it there.

Russ
My main phone has a bright green cover, and I can still never find it. My elderly cat usually has it.....

I've lost count how many times I have had to ring my phone to see where I've left it!
My husband and I have lost count how many times I have lost my wallet. It has actually got to the point now (well ok it reached this point some 12 or more years ago that we no longer even worry when I can't find it even for a week or more. It always turns up. We don't bother cancelling cards or anything like that...

Similarly my husband is stunningly good a losing his wedding ring. He always takes it off to wash his hands, do the dishes etc. I now keep track of where I last saw it because he doesn't have a set place that he puts it down in (something that after 21 years of marriage and more years of it missing or even officially being lost, that in still training him in) so I can tell him when he says it's list again. It's better since he now has a watch because the two are always together and it's a bigger combination to find, but there have been several occasions when his ring had been missing for 6 months or more. On one occasion it was only by sheer chance that we found it before we moved house. It had been missing for 18 months at that point. When we went off to try to cycle around the world, one tip I read was to buy the cheapest wedding rings you could find and wear those instead. That way if you are robbed you had no sentimental attachment to the ring and would just hand them over. Little did I ever realise that not even 4-5 months into our journey it would 'pay off' when he lost it on a camp-site in Sweden (technically it isn't lost we know exactly where it is, it's still there!) and he spent the next 8-9 months without one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom