The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not impressed, the heatwave is back and worse than 2 weeks ago.

42C forecast for today (they were right about yesterday 38C and overnight it only dropped to 24C so 29C at 10pm was not playing fair.

_20190115_103531.JPG
_20190115_103634.JPG

The exclamation mark is a weather warning. In this case a fire warning for my area .it's a be ready warning because of the conditions, mostly due to the wind which drives any fires very quickly.

When I get home I'll have to get the suitcase packed with passports ,important docs and a week's supply of meds and have it in the car .

42C forecast for today (they were right about yesterday 38C and overnight it only dropped to 24C so 29C at 10pm was not playing fair.

View attachment 21830 View attachment 21831

The exclamation mark is a weather warning. In this case a fire warning for my area .it's a be ready warning because of the conditions, mostly due to the wind which drives any fires very quickly.

When I get home I'll have to get the suitcase packed with passports ,important docs and a week's supply of meds and have it in the car .

Man that's hot, we had a 36 about a week ago and that was a killer. I Remember first flying into singers and walking into the open. 40 deg c and 95% humidity. A killer.

Russ

On the up side we have had a spate of chicks hatch. On Sunday we came home to 2 which had hatched very early (2-3 days early!). (mum 1).
Late last night, another hatched for mum 2. I woke to find another 3 had hatched for her overnight and a 5th was hatching.
Mum 3, had 2 hatch overnight and another was hatching when I left this morning.

That leaves 3 more eggs with mum 2. The complication being that 3 weeks ago , another mum (call her 4) had 7 chicks. 6 arrived on Boxing Day and another on the 29th. The one on the 29th was brown ,same colour as mum 4. That one is still with mum 4, but the surviving 4 chicks ,all black rehomed themselves and changed mums taking up residence with mum 2 who is black. They did this whilst she was sitting on eggs and the first day she tried to push them away ,but they ignored her . Walking the next day to find herself with chicks and eggs ,she accepted both... So we now have 1 mum (number 2)with 4 chicks 3 weeks old and another 4 newly hatched with another 4 yet to hatch !

Needless to say, this really hot weather is dangerous for them .

On the up side we have had a spate of chicks hatch. On Sunday we came home to 2 which had hatched very early (2-3 days early!). (mum 1).
Late last night, another hatched for mum 2. I woke to find another 3 had hatched for her overnight and a 5th was hatching.
Mum 3, had 2 hatch overnight and another was hatching when I left this morning.

That leaves 3 more eggs with mum 2. The complication being that 3 weeks ago , another mum (call her 4) had 7 chicks. 6 arrived on Boxing Day and another on the 29th. The one on the 29th was brown ,same colour as mum 4. That one is still with mum 4, but the surviving 4 chicks ,all black rehomed themselves and changed mums taking up residence with mum 2 who is black. They did this whilst she was sitting on eggs and the first day she tried to push them away ,but they ignored her . Walking the next day to find herself with chicks and eggs ,she accepted both... So we now have 1 mum (number 2)with 4 chicks 3 weeks old and another 4 newly hatched with another 4 yet to hatch !

Needless to say, this really hot weather is dangerous for them .

When I started breeding horses, one thing I learnt real quick is, when you have livestock, you get dead stock.
I lost a few as well.

Russ

View attachment 21830 View attachment 21831

Apparently we may get snow next week :eek:

When I started breeding horses, one thing I learnt real quick is, when you have livestock, you get dead stock.
I lost a few as well.

Russ
I've lost very few chicks over the years. I've had the euthanase a few chooks mind you more than I'd like after one bad fox attack that I came home in the middle of (broad daylight attack ).

I came home today to 1 dead chick ,killed by mum 2. She's also attacked another taking quite a bit of skin off it but amazingly it is still alive tonight after the heat of today, and many hours passing . mum 2 had rejected her chicks, chicknapped the other lot from mum 4.... Anyhow in now handrearing 6 chicks , probably 7. 1 has been snook under another mum with 2 chicks. It's the same colour as her other 2 so adding in another wasn't difficult. The remaining egg has gone to mum 1.. who I left sitting on wooden eggs this morning as a precaution. She had 2 hatch during the night and a 3rd early morning. I don't want her with too many chicks because whilst she is an excellent mother and very attentive etc the chicks she raises are nearly feral, and if rather hand rear 6 than give her a few extra to raise. I can't face feral chickens and the 2 she raised before may end up being given away because of their refusal to go anywhere near humans. (she went missing whilst I was in hospital and was only found when she turned up with chicks.. . I was still in hospital so couldn't remove them from her to raise them myself .)

Apparently we may get snow next week :eek:
I'd happily swap you. Right now it's nearly 11pm and is still 28C outside .to make matters worse, I now need to keep a ceramic heat lamp turned on in the house at night! The chicks I'm now handrearing only hatched today and need to be kept at 38C. Right now I'm just guessing if they are warm enough or not. The closer to the heat and each other ,the colder they are. Spread out away from the heat is the better option.
Snow looks good from here! Tomorrow is meant to hit 43C and it does it and stays there for 5-6 hours or so t rather than just peaking at 43C for a few moments then starting the decent.

Edit, crap I've just checked the forecast .it's now forecast to be 44C on Thursday !

Really? I didn't spot that one... I will have to check.

I'd happily swap you. Right now it's nearly 11pm and is still 28C outside .to make matters worse, I now need to keep a ceramic heat lamp turned on in the house at night! The chicks I'm now handrearing only hatched today and need to be kept at 38C. Right now I'm just guessing if they are warm enough or not. The closer to the heat and each other ,the colder they are. Spread out away from the heat is the better option.
Snow looks good from here! Tomorrow is meant to hit 43C and it does it and stays there for 5-6 hours or so t rather than just peaking at 43C for a few moments then starting the decent.

Edit, crap I've just checked the forecast .it's now forecast to be 44C on Thursday !

After over 25 years without seeing snow I do not miss it. Admittedly our temperatures rarely exceed 40 degC but I'll take that over freezing.

Maybe I'm just soft.

I did say may, it isn't a given.

I've lost very few chicks over the years. I've had the euthanase a few chooks mind you more than I'd like after one bad fox attack that I came home in the middle of (broad daylight attack ).

I came home today to 1 dead chick ,killed by mum 2. She's also attacked another taking quite a bit of skin off it but amazingly it is still alive tonight after the heat of today, and many hours passing . mum 2 had rejected her chicks, chicknapped the other lot from mum 4.... Anyhow in now handrearing 6 chicks , probably 7. 1 has been snook under another mum with 2 chicks. It's the same colour as her other 2 so adding in another wasn't difficult. The remaining egg has gone to mum 1.. who I left sitting on wooden eggs this morning as a precaution. She had 2 hatch during the night and a 3rd early morning. I don't want her with too many chicks because whilst she is an excellent mother and very attentive etc the chicks she raises are nearly feral, and if rather hand rear 6 than give her a few extra to raise. I can't face feral chickens and the 2 she raised before may end up being given away because of their refusal to go anywhere near humans. (she went missing whilst I was in hospital and was only found when she turned up with chicks.. . I was still in hospital so couldn't remove them from her to raise them myself .)

Wow they kill their young, I didn't know that.

Russ

Wow they kill their young, I didn't know that.

Russ
They can do and some will then eat them as well. Eggs, embryo chick and hatched or about to hatch chicks. Once you get an egg eater there is very little you can do. We had one, tried all the tricks but she ended up being rehomed to the reptile centre she was my husband's favourite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom