The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
38 degC this afternoon. Even a cold shower is out of the question as the sun has been on the water tank all morning.

It's nice to a bit too warm in the afternoons here now.

I discovered tiny green tomatoes on my Everglades tomato plants yesterday, along with all the blooms. Can't wait for them to ripen so we can have 1 of our favorite meals. Need to go outside and tie up some of the stems that escaped the cage and are getting to heavy to support themselves.

I have blooms on my pepper plants too, but fingers crossed because I always seem to have problems getting fully grown peppers. These are 2 varieties I've never tried to grow before though, shishito and don't remember the name of the other, but it's similar to a Thai bird chili, which I have managed to grow successfully.

@medtran49
I usually plant a fall garden. I did not this past fall . Shame on me . A fall garden is often as productive as a summer garden. Easier to maintain
Less watering and fewer pests.
I wage war on tomato horn worms during the summer months.
I have an assortment of heirloom tomato seeds. I start and plant 2 each
They are indeterminate and grown vertically. Each plant needs only 1 square foot. Determinate varieties require 3+ square feet per plant. I grow cucumbers, squash and cantaloupe vertically. I must have the "winter blues ". I am craving fresh from the garden vegetables

@ElizabethB

A fall/winter garden is pretty much the only time we can grow non-native or non-subtropical/tropical veges here. It gets too hot for most things by mid-March to early April. The Everglades tomatoes are native so they'll grow and produce all summer provided they get enough water. The spicy chili will grow year round here. I don't know about the other, we'll see.

I'm dealing with leafminers. Hate those things. Just got done spraying with neem oil earlier.

You must be much further south than I am. Have you spoken to your county agent about vegetable varieties suitable for your area? I am a firm believer in using available information resources. What university is your Ag Center University? Another great source of information.
You and Craig are exceptional home cooks. You obviously appreciate home grown produce. Have you ever considered going through your county's Master Gardener program? An extraordinary opportunity. In Lafayette Parish we are blessed with one of the top Master Gardener programs in the nation. A very active group of like minded, crazy gardeners. Master Gardener program may be something that you and Craig would enjoy and benefit from.

No, it's nice to have fresh grown produce, but we just don't have a place for a large garden anymore, nor do I want to invest that amount of time when we have a wonderful place for produce less than 10 minutes from the house. I don't mind growing a few specialty items, but that's all I'm really interested in any more.

We're in the Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach metropolitan area so we're way south of you. It's well over 800 miles from here to NOLA.

No, it's nice to have fresh grown produce, but we just don't have a place for a large garden anymore, nor do I want to invest that amount of time when we have a wonderful place for produce less than 10 minutes from the house. I don't mind growing a few specialty items, but that's all I'm really interested in any more.

We're in the Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach metropolitan area so we're way south of you. It's well over 800 miles from here to NOLA.

You're like me - although I do have quite a large garden. I just don't want to do all that work anymore (nor am I physically capable). A few choice things (mostly in pots) is good for me. I'm trying to expand that aspect of things a little with more herbs and leaves.

We're still getting day time temperatures in the 30Cs forecast for this coming week. February is typically a really warm month. But it's also very variable . It's forecast to be 7C in the morning! No I didn't forget a digit. The height of summer and 7C in the morning. I'm not certain that the summer weight quilt will be warm enough tbh! Yet several times in the list week alone, it had been too warm for any bedding at night! My poor chicks won't know what's hit them. The ones with their mums can cuddle up but the ones in my mud room have an electric radiator on in there with them and they are all piled together trying hard to get to the middle. There are 2 I'mreally concerned about. One was doing ok, but had a really bad cold (her eyes are full of bubbles from sinus problems and she is sneezing constantly). She's eating well mind you. The other is so thin and light I've been monitoring her weight on a daily basis . It is going up, but only in tiny amounts. We see her eating and drinking but she's hunched over and at nearly 4 weeks old (next Tuesday ) she still only weighs 90g which is nothing. I have been treating all of them with antibiotics in their water but I may have to switch over to a worming agent just as a precaution . It will make her worse for a day or two but it's all I can think of that could possibly be the problem .

Its nearly 10pm and it'salready down to 12C! It could be cold in the morning ! However tomorrow is also forecast to reach 31C minimum ! I haven't got my head around Australian weather yet!

@medtran49 and @morning glory
Physical limitations are why I love my table height square foot garden boxes
No bending or stooping . Easy access from all sides . Very high production from a small amount of space . Easy maintenance . My boxes are reserved for vegetables. My herbs are grown in pots
@medtran49 you have little or no winter. A true 12.month growing season

We're still getting day time temperatures in the 30Cs forecast for this coming week. February is typically a really warm month. But it's also very variable . It's forecast to be 7C in the morning! No I didn't forget a digit. The height of summer and 7C in the morning. I'm not certain that the summer weight quilt will be warm enough tbh! Yet several times in the list week alone, it had been too warm for any bedding at night! My poor chicks won't know what's hit them. The ones with their mums can cuddle up but the ones in my mud room have an electric radiator on in there with them and they are all piled together trying hard to get to the middle. There are 2 I'mreally concerned about. One was doing ok, but had a really bad cold (her eyes are full of bubbles from sinus problems and she is sneezing constantly). She's eating well mind you. The other is so thin and light I've been monitoring her weight on a daily basis . It is going up, but only in tiny amounts. We see her eating and drinking but she's hunched over and at nearly 4 weeks old (next Tuesday ) she still only weighs 90g which is nothing. I have been treating all of them with antibiotics in their water but I may have to switch over to a worming agent just as a precaution . It will make her worse for a day or two but it's all I can think of that could possibly be the problem .

Its nearly 10pm and it'salready down to 12C! It could be cold in the morning ! However tomorrow is also forecast to reach 31C minimum ! I haven't got my head around Australian weather yet!

27 deg c here. Our weather is so similar to yours. Hope your chicks get better.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom