The joy of leftovers

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:23 AM
I sometimes think the best things I cook are made from leftovers. Its a chance to be creative and try out something new - after all, the food will be wasted otherwise. I made a version of this last night and then again today from leftover boiled potatoes and peas. (@Elawin inspired me to make this). I fried a quarter of chopped onion until soft, added some de-seeded chopped tomato, garam masala, turmeric, potatoes and peas and chopped chillies. Then I poured over the whisked eggs and cooked until semi-set. Magic! An Indian omelette.

Please feel free to add your ideas and inspirations for using leftovers to this thread.

20170919_130132.jpg

20170919_131026.jpg

Last edited:
I often PLAN leftovers! If it's a pot of soup, stew, or such, I just need to reheat it. However, I often cook extra protein for a specific dish, or a maybe dish - always something that needs that particular protein. Hubby will grill extra tuna steaks - they become tuna salad or an add-in for a green salad. Chicken can be used in salads, casseroles, sandwiches, soups. Similar with pork, but with more limited options. Sometimes hubby asks me where in the grocery store I find leftovers. :laugh: I kinda collect them sometimes...

I often PLAN leftovers! If it's a pot of soup, stew, or such, I just need to reheat it. However, I often cook extra protein for a specific dish, or a maybe dish - always something that needs that particular protein. Hubby will grill extra tuna steaks - they become tuna salad or an add-in for a green salad. Chicken can be used in salads, casseroles, sandwiches, soups. Similar with pork, but with more limited options. Sometimes hubby asks me where in the grocery store I find leftovers. :laugh: I kinda collect them sometimes...

Technically speaking (by my definition), if you plan leftovers then they aren't leftovers... :whistling: :D

I sometimes think the best things I cook are made from leftovers. Its a chance to be creative and try out something new - after all, the food will be wasted otherwise. I made a version of this last night and then again today from leftover boiled potatoes and peas. (@Elawin inspired me to make this). I fried a quarter of chopped onion until soft, added some de-seeded chopped tomato, garam masala, turmeric, potatoes and peas and chopped chillies. Then I poured over the whisked eggs and cooked until semi-set. Magic! An Indian omelette.

Please feel free to add your ideas and inspirations for using leftovers to this thread.

View attachment 10481

View attachment 10482

@morning glory

Looks lovely ..

Extra left over Paella, Fideuà (Vermicielli Paella), Pasta or Risotto become lunch the next day, re heated at office usually ..

Meatloaf goes into a baguette. We like it room temperature ..

Chicken gets made into chicken salad or boneless breasts go into a baguette with Dijon or Home made Mayonnaise, field greens and tomato ..

Soups and stews = reheated ..

Have a nice day ..

Leftovers, l love them. When pasta leftover I like to make a omelette pasta, delicious. Or with leftover rice I make rice-croquettes filled with what I have to hand, generally prosciutto or cheese.
Chicken leftover is my fave: cut in pieces with potatoes, mustard, rocket salad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom