The juice of one lemon

Far as I know I have never tasted Meyer lemons

Citrus × meyeri, the Meyer lemon, is a citrus fruit native to China thought to be a cross between a true lemon and either a mandarin or common orange. It was introduced to the United States in 1908 as S.P.I. #23028 by the agricultural explorer Frank Nicholas Meyer, an employee of the United States Department of Agriculture who collected a sample of the plant on a trip to China.

It grows very well in my climate. A large lemon slightly sweeter than a true lemon. Perfect for baking. They are ripe now. I need to get some from Mother. The juice freezes well and the rind is perfect for candied lemon rind. I made an Everything Lemon, Lemon Cake for Thanks Giving. Don't get excited. I used a boxed lemon cake mix. It called for 1 cup water. I used 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 tbsp. zest. The filling was a layer of lemon curd and a layer lemon cream cheese. More curd and cream cheese on top and sides. Finished with candied lemon rind. I was so proud of myself! Unfortunately the layers slid on the way to my sister's house. We had every thing lemon slip and slide lemon cake! I will try again for Christmas. This time I will skewer the layers and make sure it is well chilled before transporting.

BTW - Meyer lemons are an hybrid NOT GMO.

Limes ( Canary Islands and down South ) are common at Bars & Restaurants for cocktails and drinks in Spain, however, lemons are plentiful for shellfish, seafood and fish as well as bars and restaurants ..

I prefer lemon with my shellfish, seafood and fish .. I also use lemon in my Perrier or San Pellegrino, or local sparkling wáter, Vichy Catalan ..

@morning glory maybe "bergamotto"?

That's it. Bergamot. Thank you for putting me out of my misery. Somewhere in my freezer one is buried. I think! From Calabria. They seem to be called lemons or oranges but as far as I can see they are one and the same. :scratchhead:They look more like limes!

fresh-calabrian-bergamot-oranges-5kg.html\

20-Health-Benefits-Of-Bergamot-1.jpg

I bought mine from Ocado and here is what they say about them:

This intensely flavoured and beautifully fragrant citrus fruit is best known for flavouring Earl Grey Tea and providing its alluring scent to some of the world's finest perfumes, but its culinary uses are far more interesting. Its floral taste has a sharp citrus kick, making a wonderful alternative to lemon juice. It will add a delicious twist to sorbets and fish dishes (particularly shellfish) and since our bergamots are of course unwaxed, you can also enjoy the peel in cakes and Madeleines.

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produ...4525&parentContainer=|20002|44490|44498|44525

@Francesca - it is this that is used in Earl Grey tea.

Last edited:
That's it. Bergamot. Thank you for putting me out of my misery. Somewhere in my freezer one is buried. I think! From Calabria. They seem to be called lemons or oranges but as far as I can see they are one and the same. :scratchhead:They look more like limes!

fresh-calabrian-bergamot-oranges-5kg.html\

View attachment 12003

I bought mine from Ocado and here is what they say about them:

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Natoora-Unwaxed-Bergamot-Lemons/66573011?from=shop&tags=|20000|20002|44490|44498|44525&parentContainer=|20002|44490|44498|44525

@Francesca - it is this that is used in Earl Grey tea.

Once I had a body cream Bergamotto essence..
Yes it is from Calabria but I must confess that I've never used it..I always use lemon or at least lime. Maybe I'll give it a try first or then.

The information about bergamot is really interesting. I had no idea it was even a fruit, let alone a citrus fruit. Though the fact that it is, makes sense because i love the scent of it in toiletries!

IMG_1992.JPG

On the subject of lemon's, my wife bought this yesterday from a charity shop. What a piece of kit! I have no idea how old it is, but judging by the build quality and weight I would guess it dates back to the 60's. The lever operates a gear mechanism, which means it barely needs any effort to operate and it works brilliantly! It is also very pleasing to the eye. £4 well spent.

View attachment 12138

On the subject of lemon's, my wife bought this yesterday from a charity shop. What a piece of kit! I have no idea how old it is, but judging by the build quality and weight I would guess it dates back to the 60's. The lever operates a gear mechanism, which means it barely needs any effort to operate and it works brilliantly! It is also very pleasing to the eye. £4 well spent.

Lovely! I used to have a hand held version of this type of gadget - bought in Cairo. They do work brilliantly.

Back
Top Bottom