The Most Popular Food Searches by Region

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
6:58 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Statistics are a funny thing. I rely on them for my job (engineering), and I don't dispute the validity of that approach. But, sometimes, the stats tell you things you don't expect.

I'm thinking of this as I read that Google has released a list of the most-searched-for types of foods, broken down by region (generally, by state) in the US in the past year. Follow that link if you want to read the whole story.

I've reproduced the list here. Many of the results were expected. In two of my former states of residence, it's no surprise that Maryland residents searched for crab dip recipes, and California residents wanted to know about quinoa.

But, the one that blew me away was my own state. Take a look at what came up for Michigan...I wonder if I threw off the curve, since that was something I recommended for a past Cook-Along.

Since no data was released about other countries, I wonder where those of you outside the US might imagine would be the most popular for your region. Would it be something obvious (like Maryland wanting to know about crab), or something completely surprising (like the Michigan result)

Alabama: Broccoli salad

Alaska: Halibut

Arizona: Spanish rice

Arkansas: Potato soup

California: Quinoa

Colorado: Spaghetti squash

Connecticut: Quiche

Delaware: Baked salmon

District of Columbia: Crab cake

Florida: Ceviche

Georgia: Squash casserole

Hawaii: Shoyu chicken

Idaho: Crepe recipe

Illinois: Italian beef

Indiana: Buckeye recipe

Iowa: Hamburger

Kansas: Meatball recipe

Kentucky: Vegetable soup

Louisiana: Gumbo

Maine: Apple pie

Maryland: Crab dip

Massachusetts: Haddock

Michigan: Goulash

Minnesota: Sloppy joe

Mississippi: Taco soup

Missouri: Hamburger

Montana: Chili

Nebraska: Taco seasoning

Nevada: Chicken adobo

New Hampshire: Apple crisps

New Jersey: Flounder

New Mexico: Pozole

New York: Chicken cutlet

North Carolina: Snow cream

North Dakota: Hamburger

Ohio: Sausage gravy

Oklahoma: Hamburger meat

Oregon: Teriyaki sauce

Pennsylvania: Asparagus

Rhode Island: Chicken parm

South Carolina: Chicken bog

South Dakota: Hamburger

Tennessee: Hashbrown casserole

Texas: Tortilla soup

Utah: Zucchini bread

Vermont: Waffle

Virginia: Salmon cake

Washington: Pork chop

West Virginia: Meatloaf

Wisconsin: Meatloaf

Wyoming: Banana bread

Puerto Rico: Receta de tembleque

Guam: Fried chicken

Northern Mariana Islands: Orange chicken

U.S. Virgin Islands: Johnny cake

American Samoa: Pizza dough

But, the one that blew me away was my own state. Take a look at what came up for Michigan...

I'll bet that is down to your extensive searches for the Cookalong! :laugh: Can't imagine why else...
Quite fascinating (although testing for my geographical knowledge of the US.). I wish there was a similar thing for the UK, by region.

I can't access Food52 anymore (the link you posted to the stats) and nor will anyone else in UK or Europe be able to. Another casualty of data protection. They have told me (a month ago) that they are sorting it out but so far not. Its particularly enraging as I have recipes posted there with photographs including one which was a community pic and which they professionally photographed!!!!

I can't access Food52 anymore (the link you posted to the stats) and nor will anyone else in UK or Europe be able to. Another casualty of data protection. They have told me (a month ago) that they are sorting it out but so far not. Its particularly enraging as I have recipes posted there with photographs including one which was a community pic and which they professionally photographed!!!!
:speechless:

This makes me think of parts of the world that aren't so open and free as I imagine Britain to be. But, you should be able to go directly to the google "doodle" here:

https://www.google.com/doodles/fourth-of-july-2018

Click on the image (the pulsing Play button) to begin.

But, the one that blew me away was my own state. Take a look at what came up for Michigan...
But its not really goulash, it seems: - 'cheesy meaty pasta' - since when has that been a goulash?

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 19.31.18.png

But its not really goulash, it seems: - 'cheesy meaty pasta' - since when has that been a goulash?
I didn't notice that...I totally agree. I think of goulash as basically a beef stew. I would never have thought of using cheese. I know that some serve it over pasta, but I wouldn't have included that as part of the recipe, either. So, I agree with the meaty part, at least. But, as I start to search, I see all sorts of variations of that theme, including some that have pasta baked in, and include cheese.

What is Ceviche? ...maybe i don't know how to pronounce it so that is why i don't recognize it but apparently my fellow floridians are searching for it.

Never mind...i found a pronounce site and now i know what it is. Weird how that is a popular term for florida...i figured it would be key lime pie or empandas or a dish to figure out out what to do with all the mangos that suddenly come ripe all at one time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom