The Non-dairy Cheese Board

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:38 PM
Asda is launching a vegan cheeseboard for Christmas (see below). Have you tried vegan cheese? What did you think of it?

asda-vegan-cheeseboard__large.png
Image from http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/food-news/asda-vegan-cheeseboard

With more people choosing to follow a vegan, more and more brands are launching vegan cheese ranges, or adding vegan cheese alternatives to their menu. Usually coconut or cashew based, vegan cheese has always been the subject of debate (Sainsbury's vegan cheese range back in 2016 divided opinion), but many are welcoming the free-from alternatives to animal-based products.

Non-dairy eaters will be ecstatic to hear that Asda is launching its own vegan cheeseboard just in time for Christmas!
Read more here: http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/food-news/asda-vegan-cheeseboard

Not sure what I think about that, but I'm always up for tasting new cheeses! Recently, I bought a packet of vegan sandwiches from Tesco's 'Wicked' range. I was very impressed until I noticed in the list of ingredients - Palm oil! Surely they can't be that stupid?

My partner is dairy free so we tried so many vegan cheeses but neither of us like many of them as they aren't very strong cheese tasting at all. We buy Violife but I don't like it too much as it is very mild.

I probably won't try vegan cheese. I like real cheese to much and have no issue with dairy. Never will understand the vegan issue with a product that doesn't hurt an animal.:headshake:

I probably won't try vegan cheese. I like real cheese to much and have no issue with dairy. Never will understand the vegan issue with a product that doesn't hurt an animal.:headshake:

Milk is produced by cows that have given birth. The male calves are removed from the mother and slaughtered. A few may be raised as veal. Also, a lot of vegans believe that animals shouldn't be farmed at all or used for the production of food - so they don't even eat honey.

Milk is produced by cows that have given birth. The male calves are removed from the mother and slaughtered. A few may be raised as veal. Also, a lot of vegans believe that animals shouldn't be farmed at all or used for the production of food - so they don't even eat honey.

We all have the right to choose, but I like meat and other animal produce, I won't apologise for that.

My wife eats vegan cheese. I've tried it, cheddar and American, and the best thing that I can say about it is that it's edible.
If you try to melt it on a sandwich, for instance, it gets a weird matte kind of look and doesn't melt well. I mean, that's all American cheese is good for - melting.

My wife eats vegan cheese. I've tried it, cheddar and American, and the best thing that I can say about it is that it's edible.
If you try to melt it on a sandwich, for instance, it gets a weird matte kind of look and doesn't melt well. I mean, that's all American cheese is good for - melting.

There is only one brand I (and vegan son) find edible (Violife). But it really doesn't measure up to a good dairy cheese at all. As for melting, there is a mozzarella style one which does melt reasonably well and 'strings'. I have a photo somewhere...

There is a provolone veggie cheese i like when it is melted on onion and pepper fajitas...i never remember brands...it is in a green package.

There is a provolone veggie cheese i like when it is melted on onion and pepper fajitas...i never remember brands...it is in a green package.
Is it vegan or veggie? Lots of cheeses are vegetarian - its really a case of whether or not they contain rennet.

Is it vegan or veggie? Lots of cheeses are vegetarian - its really a case of whether or not they contain rennet.

It vegan...frankly i think most the taste of provolone comes from the smoke flavor so that is why it tastes pretty close to the dairy counterpoint.

Back
Top Bottom