The Not So Mysterious Art of The Flambé

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
4:06 AM
The first trick to a Flambé is alcohol. It is recommended to use a spirit that is about 40% alcohol by volume. That recommendation is important because it regards safety. HIgher percentages of alcohol content are fare too volatile and in a word, dangerous.

The second trick to doing a Flambé is SAFETY.
1) Don't use more than 40% alcohol by volume
2) Allow for plenty of room on clean surfaces with no table clothes or paper napkins nearby.
3) Have a pot cover handy to cover it up and put out the flames.
4) Use a long stick or a long nozzled torch lighter so as to avoid getting burned or singed.
5) For women (or men) with long hair, tie it back and if possible, wear a hair net or some cover.

The Flambé technique is considered by some to be all show business and claimed not to contribute anything to the flavor of the meal. The truth is that some can taste the spirit used and some cannot. So it is still a good practice to use a spirit with a flavor contribution. Cognacs are commonly used.

The technique:
1) Heat up the cognac, but not to an extreme degree. Heating promotes vaporization of the alcohol and this will allow for a more robust fireball effect. For SAFETY, you can forego the preheating. If you don't preheat, you will still get a flame, but it will be more smaller, bluer and more controllable.

2) Use a sprinkle of the liquor or spirit over the food. Do not use a whole lot as too much can spoil the taste of the food and completely dominate it with a boozy flavor. You don't need a lot. Experiment if it's your first try at this

3) Using a long stick or long nozzled torch lighter, ignite the dish. Let it burn for only a short time and then cover it up with a pot cover to smother it out.

It's that simple.

There are many traditional Flambé dishes and I will allow you to research these on your own. You are however, free to invent your own.

Again, be SAFE. Always be SAFE. And use alcoholic spirits as luxury food accompaniments, not for self abuse under the guise of recreational use. And don't pull stunts on your friends to steep them. They won't ever let you cook for them again.

Too late about the stunts. When I was around 15, I Flambed the side of a small bridge we used to hang out on. It was just a small trickle. Since that was the only thing Drambuie seemed good for as it tasted horrible. I'm sure it didn't look like the "lava flow" I recall, but that could of been the black Lebonese.:hyper:

I am a grand enthusiast of " flambée " wild Salmon and Crevettes, which are huge red prawns called " carabineros " in Spanish. The English Word is the same as the French, Crevettes ..

I am not a big sweet fan, however, a "Baked Alaska" that I have had while at a travel tourism convention in a *** Michelin Manhattan Restaurant was amazing ..

I measure with "shot glasses" .. We use Cognac !

Last edited:
C
My favorite Flambé dish is Bananas Foster.

You and me both!:hungry:

As I had never heard of Bananas Foster, I just had to Google it!

It sounds delicious. There seems to be lots of versions . I found a video from the restaurant where it was created. They used unsalted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and rum. I watched other videos . Some people said use ripe bananas, others said use soft bananas. Some people added salt and nutmeg.
Then there was the various ways of slicing the bananas.

So.....
Please tell us how you do yours?

@Kake Lover
I have never made it - I just enjoy eating it. :giggle:

Like many recipes Bananas Foster is open to interpretation. If you want to try it just have fun. Use what appeals to you.

I do like my bananas sliced on an extreme diagonal. More surface area for the flambé sauce to cling to.

once in a while when I make banana bread, we'll slice and toast, then put the ice cream and bananas foster on top. We always make a little bit of extra sauce when we do that.

This is close to what we usually do. Craig normally just kind of wings it. The banana liquer is nice to use if you can find it, as it adds another layer of flavor, but you can use all rum.

http://www.neworleansrestaurants.com/new-orleans-recipes/recipes_brennans.php

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom