The return of Sea Eggs

Local time
5:45 AM
I got a call yesterday asking me if I wanted sea eggs. I refused. A five year ban has been lifted and it's legal to buy sea eggs again. Truth be told I just have vague memories of my mom preparing it when I was a child. I also remember me not loving it.

It's back and it's expensive but the crave is on. Everyone excuding me and my household seems to want it. Here's what sea egg looks like. Maybe it's called by another name where you live. I'd like to know.
download.jpg sea egg.jpg 1305081140562.jpgmore sea egg.jpg

It looks like a sea urchin to me. Do they have poison in them or it depends on the variety? I am assuming the ban was because of food safety is it? I can try anything once although on this lovely looking thing I may have to pass. Do you cook them or eat them raw?

Yes, sea eggs have returned and it seems as if the crave for them is on. I can remember eating sea eggs as a child, but this was never my favourite delicacy. Sometimes we would eat it raw and at other times cooked. I preferred it cooked. I can remember eating sea egg with plain white rice, but not with anything else. It tends to have a sweetish taste. This is one of those foods that I was never crazy about and would eat very rarely. I don't know if I would like it better now, since we tend to like things as we grow older that we did not particularly like as a child.

Yes I think that must be a sea urchin. Its something I've been wanting to eat for many years! Its very difficult to find them here despite being surrounded by the sea! I've tried everywhere (nothing on-line last time I looked). If anyone in the UK knows....

It looks like a sea urchin to me. Do they have poison in them or it depends on the variety? I am assuming the ban was because of food safety is it? I can try anything once although on this lovely looking thing I may have to pass. Do you cook them or eat them raw?

Interestingly enough, the ban had nothing to do with food safety and from my research it seems to be what you call sea urchin. It was banned to avoid depletion of the species. I'll have to ask my mom for the recipe and get back to you. I googled it and I saw someone outside preparing it in the company of his down. Outdoors on the ground. I am sure my bajan people won't enjoy watching that video. I know it involves some sort of frying and is mostly eaten with white rice.

I might still get some just to see if my son would enjoy it. I know if he sees it being prepared he won't eat it. Something like me. I'm actually sorry I saw the video I won't share just yet if at all.

Gee, so you call sea urchin meat sea eggs? I wonder why the name? But maybe because the shape of the sea urchin is round hence it is called eggs. I have seen a sea urchin so I understand the photo above. But what is that orange thing on the trays, are they the meat of sea urchins? You know, I had eaten a raw sea urchin once when a fisherman in the province dared us. The taste of that raw sea egg is not good.

Ewwwwwww I have seen sea urchins but I have no desire to even try them. To me they don't even look like something that you would want to eat. I just gets shivers looking at it. How do you prepare them? It doesn't seem like you would get a whole lot to eat out of a sea urchin or maybe they are much bigger then they are here.

I have to say @winterybella that the title of your thread is wonderful. The return of Sea Eggs! I just love it. It conjures up impossible and fabulous images to me.

I agree! I was like "this sounds all magical and mystical - definitely clicking on that thread!"

I've never even seen these before...I don't think I'd be game to try them either!

Gee, so you call sea urchin meat sea eggs? I wonder why the name? But maybe because the shape of the sea urchin is round hence it is called eggs. I have seen a sea urchin so I understand the photo above. But what is that orange thing on the trays, are they the meat of sea urchins? You know, I had eaten a raw sea urchin once when a fisherman in the province dared us. The taste of that raw sea egg is not good.
Yes, that's the meat of the sea urchin.

Last edited:
I hope that they taste just like the oysters. At first I did not like the oysters served with their shells on but that icy colored thing made me try them and I liked them. I am thinking now and wishing that the sea eggs are as mild as the oysters

I agree! I was like "this sounds all magical and mystical - definitely clicking on that thread!"

I've never even seen these before...I don't think I'd be game to try them either!
Sounded like a Spielberg movie production? I am so sorry to disappoint. See this and you think you'll definitely give it a try
Breakfast4.jpg
See the YOu tube I stumbled on and you'd probably think twice.

I hope that they taste just like the oysters. At first I did not like the oysters served with their shells on but that icy colored thing made me try them and I liked them. I am thinking now and wishing that the sea eggs are as mild as the oysters
I also love oysters, But what do you mean by 'the icy coloured thing'?

Back
Top Bottom