The rise of childhood obesity

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:53 AM
Do we all need tougher legislation regarding advertising of products high in salt, fat and sugar?

Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver has told MPs the childhood obesity crisis is a catastrophe and called on “every single minister” in every government department to play a role in tackling the problem. Oliver, 42, appeared before the health and social care committee with fellow chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, 53.
He described the obesity crisis as a “national security issue” in terms of mortality and death, and called for fundamental changes in advertising to curb the “relentless advertising of high salt, fat, sugar products to kids”.
Source: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...iver-mps-tackle-catastrophe-childhood-obesity

Tell us what you think about the increase in childhood obesity. Should the government step in?

I do think someone needs to do something and given no-one else appears to be doing much, the government should take the initiative. It is a crisis and it is a national problem. Truth be told it is an international problem that has been going on for several generations.

All of my mother's siblings and my mother have always been large. I have no memory of my mother as a slim mum. I can't phrase that any better. My mother will be 70 yrs old soon. All except myself have always been large and by that I mean heavy and obese, not simply overweight. Both brothers and my sister were obese even as children, one brother to the point that the school nurse was weighing him every week. He has slimmed right the way down thankfully. My other brother has type 2 diabetes directly linked to his weight. One of my brother in laws is very overweight, another heading that way... I could go on. But my point is that from experience children are more likely to be obese if their parents (and other siblings) are obese. I don't agree with the 'I'm ok with my weight' arguments and I definitely don't agree with allowing children to get to the point where they can barely walk only waddle they are that obese. It is time someone stepped in and did something but given the situation had been going on for the best part of 3 generations now, what exactly can be done? It will probably take 3 generation of more to sort out the mess!

How many hours on devices, being sedentary? PARENTS are the ultimate problem. Get your lard arse kid up off their arse and take the access to social media off the phones and other devices. Don't give them smart phones, these devises are destroying their ability to learn to think for themselves. Having answers at the touch of a button does not help brain development. We have enough government intrusion into our lives.

Evolution is going to take time to adapt to lifestyle changes, that have happened in a very short timespan.

Jamie Oliver would do better sticking to a subject he knows something about. Unless he's seeking increased sales of his latest book. Which is when he's in the news.

Last edited:
@buckytom, does your son attend public school and if so do the schools still require PhysEd or is it an elective? Do the sports that your son plays, give winner trophies or a happy-happy, joy-joy participation trophy?

Last edited:
@buckytom, does your son attend public school and if so do the schools still require PhysEd or is it an elective? Do the sports that your son plays, give winner trophies or a happy-happy, joy-joy participation trophy?

Lol, no happy happy trophies. That ends around 12 years old in some places, or 10 if they're tough...

My son goes to private school, and Phys Ed is an elective in middle school, but is mandatory in high school.

I'd rather it be the other way around.
Most kids get chubby in grammar school where they develop their health habits.

Plus, since he plays football, it becomes a full year commitment of training - part time in winter and spring . We'll see if he can handle a full rugby schedule, football training AND school next spring. He also wants to join the golf team. (can't he pick a cheap sport like cross country, or darts?)

I'd rather him take another academic course during the day since he'll be training from 3 to 5 most afternoons anyway. He really doesn't need to learn how to play volleyball, kickball, or jump rope with no enthusiasm because it's not cool in front if anyone else.

I'm stil trying to talk him into taking Latin.

vastata est puer in adolescentia

I understand that the responsibility for teaching kids right and wrong falls on the parents, but it's not as simple as that. There are things that are in foods that don't need to be (like high fructose corn syrup). And, it seems that every month, my supermarket is discontinuing healthy options (like reduced calorie bread, buns, and butter). I do like that fast food places are required to list the nutritional information on their menu boards now. This is a step in the right direction. It wouldn't make me sad if unhealthy products were required to include a warning similar to the cigarette warnings on cigarette packs.

My kids are in High School. Physical Education is something they have to take a certain amount of time (I think it's not required every semester). But, that alone isn't going to make the difference between someone being sedentary and active. My wife and I are both encouraging, supportive parents who lead by word and by example. We keep only healthy things around the house. But, then we have my wife's parents who stop by once or twice a week to drop off junk food for the kids: they know the kids like it, so they're obviously buying their affection. They don't care that we don't want them to do this: their grandkids' approval is always going to trump whatever we tell them is best for them. Grandma still uses expressions like my son is a "good eater" when he eats a lot of food.

Fortunately, we're all on Weight Watchers together (the immediate family, not the grandparents), and the kids are taking it seriously. I tell them to just thank their grandparents for giving them the cookies, candy, and fast food, and tell them that they just ate if the grandparents want to know why they aren't eating it. Meanwhile, I'm happy that they now snack on oranges and other fruits, and that they actually eat the healthy versions of foods that I make for them.

Lol, no happy happy trophies. That ends around 12 years old in some places, or 10 if they're tough...

My son goes to private school, and Phys Ed is an elective in middle school, but is mandatory in high school.

I'd rather it be the other way around.
Most kids get chubby in grammar school where they develop their health habits.

Plus, since he plays football, it becomes a full year commitment of training - part time in winter and spring . We'll see if he can handle a full rugby schedule, football training AND school next spring. He also wants to join the golf team. (can't he pick a cheap sport like cross country, or darts?["B])

I'd rather him take another academic course during the day since he'll be training from 3 to 5 most afternoons anyway. He really doesn't need to learn how to play volleyball, kickball, or jump rope with no enthusiasm because it's not cool in front if anyone else.

I'm stil trying to talk him into taking Latin.

vastata est puer in adolescentia

One World Darts Champion!
andy-fordham_1529259c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom