The scents of a tea shop

msjhord

Über Member
Local time
3:31 AM
It's been awhile since I've posted. Still in the midst of writing (what I hope will be) a novel and I am at a point where my main character enters a tea shop, one that sells bulk loose teas and where you can I also buy a cup of your favorite hot or iced teas (I live in the South, the story takes place in the South, we love our iced tea here).

I am trying to capture the essence of what the place might smell like. The various notes of tea fragrances in the air. Any ideas? I mean, I have my own, but I'm always eager to pick people's brains.

It's been awhile since I've posted. Still in the midst of writing (what I hope will be) a novel and I am at a point where my main character enters a tea shop, one that sells bulk loose teas and where you can I also buy a cup of your favorite hot or iced teas (I live in the South, the story takes place in the South, we love our iced tea here).

I am trying to capture the essence of what the place might smell like. The various notes of tea fragrances in the air. Any ideas? I mean, I have my own, but I'm always eager to pick people's brains.

Your character lives in the South of where? England? America?

US -- North Carolina, specifically, and its southeasternmost corner. Right above the South Carolina border, about 30-35 miles.

I have become more of a tea drinker myself in recent years, after quitting soft drinks. Lost 40 lbs as a result of doing just that. And, unlike my Southern contemporaries, I don't like what I've affectionately termed "tea-flavored simple syrup." The sort of concoction where a non-diabetic could easily go into diabetic shock with just one sip lol. Even though both of my parents are from this area, as am I, I grew up drinking LIGHTLY sweetened tea.

About the only time I drink tea hot is if I'm cold or sick, or eating Chinese/Japanese food.

If it was me, I would want to actually visit a shop that sells loose tea, which would be amazing. A bit like going to a cafe chain called The Boston Tea Party. Last summer they did a special tea that smelt and tasted like summer flowers but I'm rubbish at description. The leaves were mostly beautiful coloured petals.

Tea shops have both an earthy scent, as well as the slight aroma of sweet flowers. You can tell when a pot of citrus-y Earl Grey is on, the same as you can tell when an astringent black tea is in the air.

I love the grassy scent of a good green tea as well. Or the roasted rice of genmaicha.

As far as chai goes, well, what do sticks and rocks smell like?

Just ran across this thread, hence a post rather after the fact. If you want to experience the "essence of a tea shop", you really need to go on a road trip. I can recommend "Laura's Tea Room" in Ridgeway, SC, but I have no idea how far it might be from you. Ridgeway is a charming town, however, and the ladies at the shop are darling. If you google "tea shops in north carolina" a map will appear with many tea shop locations. Most appear to be Teavana ones, alas, and not small, locally owned ones.

BTW, if you are not familiar with the author Laura Childs, you need to check out her Tea Shop Mysteries. I think her story lines and character development are the quintessential example of a tea shop, its smells, and how it operates. A glorified example with few warts showing, but a lovely image nevertheless. Sadly, Charleston SC does not have a real shop like the imaginary Indigo Tea Shop.

Back
Top Bottom