The Size of Vegetables

must admit I find this thread interesting - especially about potatoes. I can still remember [and so I suspect do a few of the more 'mature' members !] the days when a potato could be almost the size of a small melon and covered in wrinkles lumps and annoying crevices that took AGES to peel. 1 of these beasts could supply enough chips [or even french fries] or mash for an entire meal !

must admit I find this thread interesting - especially about potatoes. I can still remember [and so I suspect do a few of the more 'mature' members !] the days when a potato could be almost the size of a small melon and covered in wrinkles lumps and annoying crevices that took AGES to peel. 1 of these beasts could supply enough chips [or even french fries] or mash for an entire meal !
They tasted good though...

OK - the standard sized garlic here...

DSC_1903.JPG

My hand is a women's size 7. My span from little finger tip to thumb tip when spread as wide as possible is exactly 8" (for an indication of scale).

DSC_1909.JPG

Some of the cloves of garlic along side a tape measure as requested.

DSC_1936.JPG

This is 5 cloves of garlic (as the recipe requested) roughly chopped alongside a medium sized red onion roughly chopped. Everything else is the normal size.

The other files just give a few ideas on size of the cloves of garlic along size my garlic crusher.
DSC_1902.JPG DSC_1905.JPG DSC_1908.JPG

What is a woman's size 7 hand? Is it big, medium or small? I didn't even know hands had sizes like shoes. How do I find out what size I am?

What is a woman's size 7 hand? Is it big, medium or small? I didn't even know hands had sizes like shoes. How do I find out what size I am?
As above the side of a glove packet or you can make your hand width. it's the space made between the little finger and the thumb starting on the other side. you want it's maximum.
This seems quite good http://www.glove.org/Modern/glovemeasure.php

As above the side of a glove packet or you can make your hand width. it's the space made between the little finger and the thumb starting on the other side. you want it's maximum.
This seems quite good http://www.glove.org/Modern/glovemeasure.php

Thought you said 8" was the span in your case.... as it seems to be in mine. Although... my fingers are quite long compared to others (I think). My middle (longest) finger is 3 and 3/4 inches. My daughter's are longer though.

Not that it matters too much to me as I never wear gloves. And if I did they would probably be woolly ones which came in one size.

Thought you said 8" was the span in your case.... as it seems to be in mine. Although... my fingers are quite long compared to others (I think). My middle (longest) finger is 3 and 3/4 inches. My daughter's are longer though.

Not that it matters too much to me as I never wear gloves. And if I did they would probably be woolly ones which came in one size.
my span is 8"... but that is not the distance flat across the palm from that gap I can't explain very well... so my sizing is a women's size 7 or women's large I think (I am on a men's medium or small here in Australia it is easy that finding women's work gloves!). Woolly gloves can come in more than one size as well. My ice-breaker ones do and they are fantastic.

A bog standard carrot here is about 40 mm diameter (at the widest point) and around 200 mm long.

I now have a couple.....

carrot size.jpg

They don't have much taste unfortunately.

[Edit: those two were 25 US cents]

Last edited:
I've just read a recipe which calls for "8 good sized Maris Piper potatoes". Notwithstanding that our markets here have never heard of or even seen Maris potatoes, what is a "good size"?

I've just read a recipe which calls for "8 good sized Maris Piper potatoes". Notwithstanding that our markets here have never heard of or even seen Maris potatoes, what is a "good size"?
Not to big, not to small! :laugh: What else is in the recipe?

Back
Top Bottom