The Size of Vegetables

@SatNavSaysStraightOn may be interested in this as I think she has found it difficult to find seed for hot chilli cultivation in Australia (I may have this wrong).
the major problem I had this year with chillies and growing them wasn't finding the hot seeds (you can't get hot in the supermarkets) but the fact that possums (along with chickens) can't sense capsicum so therefore there are these nice small and plentiful red fruits and they are drawn to red (well chickens are, I honestly have no idea about possums because they mainly feed at night) but I would get up in the morning and find the entire crop gone, along with every leaf on the plant as well. same for normal sweet peppers, kales, broccoli, cucumbers (fruit only), and so on. In fact the only thing that they don't seem to eat are rhubarb, potatoes (though they did show some interest initially), squash's leaves and stems (fruit vanished), leeks, garlic, fennel, bay leaf and olive. But the sulphur crested cockatoos like the olive branches - irony I know. they pick them off, eat the inside of the stem for a bit and then discard them... Oh and oregano seems untouched as well. My rosemary and my lavender are loved by the chooks for sitting on - its the scent, particularly the lavender. And between them and the wombat, plus some roo's and wallabies I am seriously perplexed as to how I can grow anything!

A friend on the Northern Beaches area of Sydney has the same struggles with
Possums eating her hot chillies.

She has raised beds - roughly 1m deep, with a steel rod sunk in at each corner. Her husband has made frames fitted with chicken mesh that slip over the rods.

I will see if I can find a picture for you.

After my dogs ate my kale I have installed sturdy fencing around my veg garden. It's semi chook proof too.

I kept thinking that you were spelling it wrong, but I looked it up and yous guys in Oz have Possums, while we in America have Opossums. Yours are kinda cute; ours are Irish.

ate my kale I have installed sturdy fencing around my veg garden. It's semi chook proof too.
mine is already fenced in to stop the wombat and deter the roo's. It is sort of chicken proof in that there is a hole when the runner beans don't fill the 25cm square wire mesh supports but otherwise... :whistling: I just turn the hose pipe on any chicken found in the veg plot. they learn very quickly! sadly possums are little swines for climbing... which also reminds me, we have wild pigs to deal with as well!

I grew these years ago from bought seeds in a couple of pots by the stoep:

chilies.jpg
:

I would call this a large (or at least a "long") mango.

unripe mango 2 s.jpg

Curly Green Cabbage and Spring Onion with " Dangling Balls " & Red Bells, Turnips, Red Onions, Broccoli & Shallots, Courgette & Aubergine @ The La Mercat de La Boqueria Central Market of Barcelona .. We grow quality small farm organic / bio vegetables in Cataluna ..

Photo Copyright: Francesca Guillamet ..

CURLYCABBAGE&VEGGIES2014-01-27 13.12.59-1.jpg

Last edited:
Curly Green Cabbage and Spring Onion with " Dangling Balls " & Red Bells, Turnips, Red Onions, Broccoli & Shallots, Courgette & Aubergine @ The La Mercat de La Boqueria Central Market of Barcelona .. We grow quality small farm organic / bio vegetables in Cataluna ..

Lovely produce.

Garlic is another anomaly when it comes to the size of the cloves. A head of garlic where I live is around 40 mm diameter and typically contains 8 cloves. Elsewhere I've seen heads far larger than that with a similar number of cloves.

Having said that, my wife came home from the market on Thursday with these:

garlic large s.jpg

The heads are around 60mm diameter.

That's a lot of garlic!

She bought eleven heads altogether. When I get my "no brain" head on, I shall likely peel and puree 75% of them.

[She bought 500 grams at around £1.50/kg]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom