The CookingBites Spice Challenge: Spice of the Month (April 2017) - Coriander Seeds

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:11 PM
Each month we'll be showcasing a different spice. I'll be writing up some information about the spice and then its over to you to come up with your tips, tricks or recipes using the spice. There is a prize for the most interesting idea or recipe (to be posted anywhere in the world, customs permitting). Just add your ideas to this thread or if you have a recipe, then post it as a new thread and tag it ‘Coriander Seeds' and 'spice challenge'. So, as you already realised, this month, the featured spice is Coriander Seeds!

images-199.jpeg

Coriander Seeds - the info

Cultivation
Coriander (botanical name Coriandrum Sativum). Cilantro is the Spanish word for coriander, also derived from coriandrum. Coriander is a flowering plant that belongs to the parsley family. Coriander is native to South Eastern Europe and grown extensively all over Europe, Middle East, China and Turkey. In North America it is recognised as Cilantro.

The mature plant bears small light pink colour flowers that subsequently turn into globular or oval-shaped fruits (seeds). The seeds measure about 4-6 mm in diameter with a central hollow cavity containing important essential oils.

Coriander is said to have originated from South Europe, North Africa and West Asia. It was well known and regularly consumed in Ancient Egypt and Greece, and is still among the most popular flavour boosters used in preparing various dishes across the globe. Seeds a reported to have been found in the tombs of of the Pharaohs

Aroma and flavour

The seeds have a delicate floral and citrus character. Roasting brings out specific aromatic compounds and essential oils in the seeds. When dry fried or roasted the seeds have a heady, slightly burnt aroma a little like burnt orange. Try putting some dry fried coriander seeds in a pepper mill and grind over food as you would pepper. You may well get addicted! They contain a high percentage of Linalool which is present in many essential oils including orange, lavender and rose.

Nutritional value
Unlike other dry spice seeds that lack in vitamin-C, coriander seeds contain an ample amount of this antioxidant vitamin. 100 g of dry seeds provide 21 mg or 35% of RDI of vitamin-C. Its seeds are also an excellent source of minerals like iron, copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and magnesium.

Culinary uses

This versatile spice has a mild sweet, citrus flavour which complements both sweet and savoury dishes. The seeds are widely used in Indian and Middle Eastern cooking where they are often paired with cumin seeds.
In Morocco they are also used to flavour coffee. You could try adding a few coriander seeds to your usual coffee beans before grinding them. They will add an interesting floral note. Because of their citrus nature, the ground seeds are an interesting addition to baking. Try adding ground coriander to a basic biscuit (cookie) mix. Coriander seeds are also commonly used in pickles and are one of the key botanicals in Gin.

Now its over to you. Do you use Coriander Seeds? Tell us your ideas, tips and recipes for using this aromatic spice. Deadline for entries is midday (GMT) 1st May 2017.

Last edited:
Ooh, ooh, I have a few good ones. I've been meaning to make a really simple Thai dish that Yorky might know about. It's called pla muk yang, or grilled squid.

I like Middle Eastern food. A common ingredient in stews and soups is baharat (an Arab spice mix), which can also be used as a rub for meat, chicken, and fish. There are many variations in the ingredients depending on which brand you buy or which you use if you make your own. It is not normally used as a stand-alone spice mix but is a good base mix to which other spices are added during cooking.

My favourite blend, which I have used many times, is taken from the Daring Gourmet's website, and I have posted the recipe here: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/baharat-arab-spice-mix.9318/

Last edited:
I like Middle Eastern food. A common ingredient in stews and soups is baharat (an Arab spice mix), which can also be used as a rub for meat, chicken, and fish. There are many variations in the ingredients depending on which brand you buy or which you use if you make your own. It is not normally used as a stand-alone spice mix but is a good base mix to which other spices are added during cooking.

My favourite blend, which I have used many times, is taken from the Daring Gourmet's website, and I have posted the recipe here: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/baharat-arab-spice-mix.9318/

Excellent! I love this kind of Middle Eastern Spice mix.

Ooh, ooh, I have a few good ones. I've been meaning to make a really simple Thai dish that Yorky might know about. It's called pla muk yang, or grilled squid.

That sounds interesting. I'm a great fan of squid if its cooked well. I mean not over cooked which it often is in restaurants here. I will look out for your recipe @buckytom.

I would hope that it's a proper squid, not a poncy one. E.g.

squid.jpg

I have no idea what creature you have on the skewer there, Yorky. Did it pop out of Sigourney Weaver's stomach at some point? :eek:
Also, what does poncy mean?

I'm afraid that pla muk yang isn't much of a recipe. You simply skin and slice a young squid into rings, dust with powdered coriander, salt, and ground black pepper. Skewer and flash grill on each side for like 30 seconds over extremely hot coals. Serve with fresh cilantro and sweet chili sauce for dipping.

I have no idea what creature you have on the skewer there, Yorky. Did it pop out of Sigourney Weaver's stomach at some point? :eek:

You are not the first person to ask that and I'm sure you will not be the last.

Also, what does poncy mean?

I don't know if this is any help but a Yorkshire friend (hereabouts) suggested that the coriander leaves (on my food) tasted like soap. I told him that I hoped it was proper "Wright's Coal Tar Soap" and not the poncy soap you get from Boots the Chemist.

I've heard that before about coriander/cilantro. Some people have a genetic disposition to it tasting like soap.

I've heard that before about coriander/cilantro. Some people have a genetic disposition to it tasting like soap.
That's correct. They aren't being difficult... these people share olfactory genes that are sensitive to aldehyde chemicals found in both soap and coriander leaves.

Yes they are being difficult! They still remember their mouths being washed out with soap for using unacceptable language when they were kids!

Back
Top Bottom