The CookingBites Spice Challenge: Spice of the Month (April 2017) - Coriander Seeds

I cannot think of many Indian dishes that I make that don't include ground coriander seeds but it is not the predominant spice in any of them.

I cannot think of many Indian dishes that I make that don't include ground coriander seeds but it is not the predominant spice in any of them.
I'd had similar thoughts. Virtually all my meals include coriander in one form or another (except tonight's which only has grd cumin, paprika and chilli in it.)

Right, I'll tell you what it is before someone else beats me to it.

A take on Mrinda's "coriander chicken" (not Madhur's which is cooked with fresh coriander leaves). It needs to be marinated in yoghurt and garlic and refrigerated overnight so I cannot cook it today.

coriander chicken 0 s.jpg

I mentioned in a later post that it's difficult to call it a recipe. It's just skewered rings of squid that are dusted with powdered coriander seed and black pepper, then it's flash grilled and served with fresh cilantro (fresh coriander leaves/stems) and sweet chili sauce. I prefer Mae Ploy brand sweet chili sauce.

I mentioned in a later post that it's difficult to call it a recipe. It's just skewered rings of squid that are dusted with powdered coriander seed and black pepper, then it's flash grilled and served with fresh cilantro (fresh coriander leaves/stems) and sweet chili sauce. I prefer Mae Ploy brand sweet chili sauce.
Sorry - I remember now. I'm just panicking as the deadline for the challenge approaches!

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who entered the Spice Challenge. There were 6 entries in all - it was difficult to make a decision! I loved the pickled asparagus from @The Late Night Gourmet as it was so unusual and I could see coriander complementing the subtle taste of asparagus. However, in the end I couldn't resist the Coriander Chicken from @Yorky and it is a recipe I am definitely going to try.

@Yorky, you need to PM a postal address so that I can send you your choice of one of the following prizes (all brand new)!
  • OXO good grips mandolin slicer
  • Microplane Fine Grater
  • Madhur Jaffrey’s Curry Nation
  • The Flavour Thesaurus - Nikki Segnit

Thank you for that MG. It really is very good chicken curry (I still have a portion in the freezer).

I'll need to have a think about the prize.

My attempt at playing the guitar in my youth was not very successful so trying another stringed instrument at my age may be a lost cause. And the thought of flying in those little airplanes terrifies me.

I think the problem I have with coriander seeds is that I have already written up all of my recipes involving them!

Can I assume you are including them ground as well? So ground coriander would be an option?

@sns.

Absolutely an exemplary penning job, and exceptional info for those of us who know what coriander sedes are however, have little experience with it ..

Thank you very much and have a lovely weekend.

Back
Top Bottom