The CookingBites Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (August 2017):Ginger

I do love ginger so much. I really wish I was able to participate but am really still in hospital.
I keep a while load of it ready pureed in the freezer. Just peel as normal and put into the spice grinder with water. Grind to a purée (using as small a volume of water as possible) and then freeze in 1 teaspoon size quantities (or tablespoon!). You can then use it straight from the freezer. I've cube trays come in really handy!
Wow....this is a phenomenal tip! And I think I have the perfect vessel for the puree: chocolate Easter egg molds, which are about teaspoon size. I can even partially freeze them in halves, then stick them together to make ginger eggs. Don't think I won't do this. As long as I can find my molds, I'm going to make a dozen of them (and snap a few photos along the way). And, I will use them...as often as I make Asian dishes, it's a certainty. And, I haven't made gingerbread yet! Cheers, @SatNavSaysStraightOn: brilliantly done!

I'd probably grate my fingers too. I have a small plastic grater which is useful for small amounts.
Well, the good thing abut ginger is that it has one end you can grip which can be quite a long way away from the end you are grating - so with ginger that isn't such an issue. Garlic however (yes I use the microplane for that) is another matter.

Well, the good thing abut ginger is that it has one end you can grip which can be quite a long way away from the end you are grating - so with ginger that isn't such an issue. Garlic however (yes I use the microplane for that) is another matter.
I just chop garlic up finely and crush it with one of my psycho knives. Much easier.

I appreciate that ginger isn't really prominent but as I am currently preparing it, I've submitted it.

Chicken Tikka.

This was some I cooked earlier....

chicken tikka 4 s.jpg

@SatNavSaysStraightOn gave me this excellent idea to purée, then freeze, ginger root. Here is my interpretation that descends a great idea into madness.

They were over 2 ounces of just skin after I peeled it. That took quite a while! Are used to love the nooks and crannies in the ginger root. Not anymore!

IMG_0855.JPG

I decided to chop it up, and then put it in the food processor with a little bit of water. It worked surprisingly well.

IMG_0856.JPG

Finally, and most importantly from my standpoint, I spooned the ground ginger into egg shaped molds. My recollection of the size was off by a factor of 3: these are exactly tablespoon-sized, not teaspoon-sized. My daughter is sleeping, so I'll need to catch up to her to warn her: if she thinks that it's candy, I will surely lose my "best dad ever" award (I have coffee mugs and other evidence to how deserving I am of this honor).

IMG_0859.JPG

I wanted to post this here now because I wasn't sure if the thread would be locked after the contest ended. I plan to show you the finished, frozen product when it's done.

Last edited:
I've been freezing ginger puree (and garlic puree) for some years now. I generally use the blender (https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/philips-hr1757-blender-and-spice-grinder-mill.8543/) and store in small containers. Take a container from the freezer, sit in tepid water for an hour, then take out what I need. Re-freeze the remainder. I've considered ice cube moulds, I even bought some for that purpose, but never got around to it.

ginger root s.jpg

ginger root puree s.jpg

@SatNavSaysStraightOn gave me this excellent idea to purée, then freeze, ginger root. Here is my interpretation that descends a great idea into madness.

They were over 2 ounces of just skin after I peeled it. That took quite a while! Are used to love the nooks and crannies in the ginger root. Not anymore!

View attachment 10112

I decided to chop it up, and then put it in the food processor with a little bit of water. It worked surprisingly well.

View attachment 10113

Finally, and most importantly from my standpoint, I spooned the ground ginger into egg shaped molds. My recollection of the size was off by a factor of 3: these are exactly tablespoon-sized, not teaspoon-sized. My daughter is sleeping, so I'll need to catch up to her to warn her: if she thinks that it's candy, I will surely lose my "best dad ever" award (I have coffee mugs and other evidence to how deserving I am of this honor).

View attachment 10114

I wanted to post this here now because I wasn't sure if the thread would be locked after the contest ended. I plan to show you the finished, frozen product when it's done.

Great! I always choose pieces of ginger without too many nooks and crannies. Sometimes I simply grate on a microplane with the skin on. If its going to end up in a curry sauce then the skin doesn't matter.

@morning glory

Thank you for the book (Vegan Goodness). My husband delivered it to the hospital yesterday and I have spent an enjoyable morning looking through the recipes wishing for my release, sorry discharge so that I can try out some of the recipes!

SNSSO
Sorry, in the UK it's "release" now, unless you're a member of staff, when there is no escape.

Back
Top Bottom