The CookingBites Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (December 2017): Anise

Spiced Pork Chops with Crushed Sweet Potato
Pork chop.jpg

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/spiced-pork-chop-with-crushed-sweet-potato.11555/

We used to cook this dish regularly, but for some reason haven't for a while. The star anise works really well with pork chops, and it makes a very easy week night supper dish. It can be a little dry, so needs fairly moist crushed sweet potatoes and unctuous buttery leeks in accompaniment. Next time I will try to make a sauce out of the marinade.

Baked salmon fillet marinated with fennel seeds, aniseed and star anise
upload_2017-12-26_17-12-13.jpeg
https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...th-fennel-seeds-aniseed-and-star-anise.11600/

These spices in Italian cuisine are used a lot in meat, especially pork. I don't eat much meat anymore and that's why I preferred fish.
They are also used in desserts and other recipes, so I will post some other recipes.
I need more time to translate, it's not so immediate for me

Last edited:
Baked salmon fillet marinated with fennel seeds, aniseed and star anise
View attachment 12485
https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...th-fennel-seeds-aniseed-and-star-anise.11600/

These spices in Italian cuisine are used a lot in meat especially pork. I do not eat much meat anymore and that's why I preferred fish.
They are also used in desserts and other recipes, so I will post some other recipes.
I need more time to translate, it's not so immediate for me

Its a fascinating recipe - I replied in the thread.

Hubby is interested in making these tomorrow...
Let me know then if he likes them and with what he eats them. In Italy they are used as breadsticks. I used them to accompany marinated olives and artichokes in oil during an aperitif, obviously with a good white wine

Everyone - Thank you to all who entered with some brilliant recipes. I'm away from home at the moment and have less time than usual so I'm behind with the judging - I expect to get some time on Sunday to do it justice. Meanwhile, I need to think of a new Spice of the Month...

I must apologise for being so incredibly late judging the challenge. I've been away and also has a stupid flooding problem with emergency plumber on Sunday when I promised to do the judging! Anyway, at last I have time. There were 7 entries in total:

@SatNavSaysStraightOn's beautiful Rhubarb & Star Anise Tarte Tatin. There is no doubt that star anise is a wonderful combination with rhubarb.
@Elawin presented a deliciously decadent Fish Stew from chef James Martin.
@epicuric presented a Gordon Ramsay recipe for Spiced Pork Chop with Crushed Sweet Potato where the pork is marinated in slightly crushed star anise with chilli and paprika. Pork is a perfect partner for anise flavours.
@Sandra offered no less than 4 recipes:
Baked salmon fillet marinated with fennel seeds, aniseed and star anise - a recipe I found quite fascinating as it included almonds and anise and of course those other anise flavours from fennel seeds and aniseed. A true celebration of anise!
Yoghurt cake (also vegetable) flavoured with aniseeds without eggs - another unusual and delicious looking recipe.
Biscuits with fennel seeds (and aniseeds) - a lovely straightforward recipe showcasing the anise flavour.
And finally, Apulian tarallucci with fennel seeds - another delicious recipe which attracted a lot of member's attention. @SatNavSaysStraightOn also made and photographed @Sandra's recipe.

So once again it so difficult - I loved the Fish Stew and the Rhubarb & Star Anise Tarte Tatin but in the end @Sandra swept the board with her great recipes and in particular the Apulian tarallucci with fennel seeds. So this is the second month running that @Sandra wins. :woot:

Just let me know which prize you want from the list I'll post up shortly, @Sandra

Salter big button kitchen timer.
81YFo2upj8L._SL1500_.jpg

KitchenCraft Home Made Swedish Rosette Iron Set with Three Interchangeable Heads.
41IgJo3JSfL-3.jpg

Kabalo Electric Coffee Bean Grinder & Nut/Spice Grinder.

41Kst4T8p1L.jpg

E-PRANCE Pepper and Salt Grinder, Manual Salt or Pepper Mill
711JThB9XRL._SL1500_.jpg

The Palomar Cookbook (2016) (recipes from award-winning restaurant The Palomar)
41dafSg7mlL._SX393_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Feasts by Sabrina Ghayour (2017) (Persian food)
61m8nieyO6L._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

Bowls of Goodness: Vibrant Vegetarian Recipes Full of Nourishment by Nina Olsson (2017)
61EIjJRxYrL._SX387_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom