The CookingBites Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (July 2017):Cinnamon

Does anyone else add it to savoury dishes?
yes - I have several recipes that use it, the one I made earlier this week was a mushroom based one with 6-10 cinnamon sticks in it. It was lovely, I just forgot to photograph it and well, I find mushrooms to be rather expensive here in Australia sadly (but I could be looking at them through rose tinted glasses... but checking the prices we could buy a kilo for £3 from Waitrose which isn't considered to be a cheap supermarket).

Yes. They are expensive here.

You may be able to grow your own soon though. There are kits in Bunnings.

There is a particular shop in the mountains here that often sells them for $6kg. I always stop if the sign is out.

You may be able to grow your own soon though. There are kits in Bunnings
I tried those last spring. TBH I was disappointed for what it cost. I have grown mushrooms in the past, but these kits are really quite small and for what they cost ($20 irrc) they are not worth the money sadly.

A couple of days ago I was reading about something called Frontier Vinegar Pie.
There was a simple recipe posted up, and when I started to look around, I did actually establish that it is a genuine pie cooked in frontier homes in the last century. There are all sorts of recipes for it, some open pies, some closed pies, but all feature the same common ingredients - a simple pie crust, water, eggs, flour, sugar and vinegar. Quite a lot of the recipes call for cinnamon so I thought I would give you Frontier Vinegar Pie (or two) and I'll update with photos shortly.

Oh yes! I use it a lot in curries, Greek lamb dishes, Persian dishes...

Oh yes! I use it a lot in curries, Greek lamb dishes, Persian dishes...

@morning glory

Berber and Moroccan Tagines / Tajines (Berber) as well as many other Mid Eastern Cuisines.

Lebanese Beef or Lamb Koftas ..

Greek Chicken & Cauliflor Stew with cinammon, red wine, tomato concéntrate / sauce, chicken broth, Evoo, salt and freshly ground black pepper. I cannot recall at momento the name of the dish in Greek ..

Greek Baklava ( of course ! )

Indian Chicken with Saffron ( ghee, cardammom, raisins, almonds, cinammon, allspice & nutmeg )

Lamb or Chicken Roghanjosh

Indian Roast Lamb

Have a wonderful day.

P3thD9cyTXNT5Um9eeqB_IMG_0638.jpg

This is my sorry-looking - but tasty - take on a Cinnamon Roll.

I could not think what I use cinnamon for, then I realised I use it in LOADS of spice mixes: Jerk, Chinese fivespice, garam masala, etc. There are several large Asian stores near where I live now so I have been experimenting with loads of different mixes (Dukkah and Za'
also favourites) I buy huge bags of whole spices and roast them to make the specific mixes, tastes so much better.

So here is my take on Charu (Like Rasam).

20170729_104847_resized.jpg
atar are now

A big thanks to everyone who participated in the thread! There were some very interesting ideas/recipes entered. A few that caught my attention were:

Ouzi from @Elawin; a dish the combined rice and filo pastry was new to me.
Frontier Vinegar Pie from @SatNavSaysStraightOn; a fascinating vintage recipe which I simply wanted to make.
Cinnamon Rolls from @The Late Night Gourmet; I make similar pastries myself and I know the work involved.
Charu/Rasam @Herbie; I've never come across the basic recipe although I cook a lot of Indian dishes - turning it into a soup was inventive!

Its a difficult decision as I'm torn between Frontier Vinegar Pie and Charu/Rasam. But I'm deciding on the Frontier Vinegar Pie (sorry @Herbie!). I don't generally like sweet dishes but this is one which intrigued me and I'd like to try. I'll post up the prizes on offer later - you just need to pick one @SatNavSaysStraightOn and it will be sent to the outback!

The winner:

IMG_9779.JPG

Here are the prizes on offer - just choose one and PM me a postal address! :happy:

OXO good grips mandolin slicer
41ppCUBhIVL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

Deiss® PRO Citrus Lemon Zester & Cheese Grater

61RB7BPBIlL._SL1500_.jpg

Fresh India: 130 Quick, Easy and Delicious Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day- Hardcover (Jul 2016)

51ligCEEnHL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg

Vegan Goodness: Delicious PlantBased Recipes - Jessica Prescott: (Sept 2016)

61NlG5yNs+L._AC_US320_QL65_.jpg

Last edited:
Wow and thank you. I'm honoured and rather surprised both at having one and at the recipe, it's all worth trying. It's really easy to make and is surprisingly nice.

I've had a good read through the reviews on the two cook books and I think I'll go with the vegan one simply because I have a number of Indian cookbooks which are actually vegan and getting a vegetarian one makes no sense to me, but also the vegan cook book has some really good reviews. So it's vegan goodness please.

Wow and thank you. I'm honoured and rather surprised both at having one and at the recipe, it's all worth trying. It's really easy to make and is surprisingly nice.

I've had a good read through the reviews on the two cook books and I think I'll go with the vegan one simply because I have a number of Indian cookbooks which are actually vegan and getting a vegetarian one makes no sense to me, but also the vegan cook book has some really good reviews. So it's vegan goodness please.

A good choice! :D It may take its time to arrive as it has a long journey. But arrive, it will!

Back
Top Bottom