The CookingBites Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (June 2017): Mustard

Do you mean as in mustard powder? We have the Coleman's brand in the UK which is super hot and comes in powdered form in tins or paste forms in jars. But yes, of course its included. :okay:

View attachment 7849
Colman's Mustard powder is what I grew up with! My Mom always had a tin in the spice cupboard and used it often. I am my Mother's daughter! I like it in deviled eggs, potato salad, sometimes in a tuna salad, cheese sauce for macaroni and cheese...I'm sure it comes out for other dishes, too, but I can't think of them right now. I could find it easily when we lived in Ohio, but it took some searching when we moved to Massachusetts. Now I can find it in every major grocery store near me. Wonderful, wonderful stuff, especially when it is a new tin.

It is good, but not twice as good as Coleman despite being twice the price.

Coleman's is sometimes available here but very expensive. I've been using McGarrett's for the last few years (about half the price) and I find it difficult to tell the difference.

Last year I used mustard powder in the pickling process for cucumber for the first time. Here are some slices with roast pork:

I am wrong. I found more information (from the windmills of my mind) and it was turmeric not mustard in the vinegar. A month late.

Yeah, I know, I've got a bit of a gall even posting this. Beyond simple and with no cooking required, and probably every one of you have a much better version of the same thing. But I'm not really posting it as a serious contender, just a contribution to the dialogue about mustard. Anyway, here it is:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/olive-oil-white-wine-vinegar-and-mustard-salad-dressing.9871/

I certainly didn't invent this, I got it from somewhere, but so long ago that I cannot remember where. Long enough ago that it probably wasn't on the web but was more likely from some book. There was a time when I used to make it a lot. These days not so much, my wife has a thing about oil dressed salads being unhealthy. But the discussion above about mustard powder revived my memory of it.When I lived alone, I used to keep a tin of mustard powder for no other purpose than to make this salad dressing.

But my other reaction is to @epicuric 's comment. Let me see, this one:

Dijon and wholegrain I use a lot in sauces.

My first thought about this challenge is that I had a few contributions I could make. But then I have realised - actually, that is all I do, add it to sauces. I've previously mentioned Marcus Wareing's Steak Diane recipe and a similar one for a pork chop, both of which he demonstrated on episodes of Masterchef Professionals and both of which used mustard. And the Nigel Slater Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe I posted in the lemon recipe challenge uses mustard - but again only in the marinade. So I am a bit fascinated to see if other's post recipes using mustard in a way that is more integral to the dish. Otherwise, the recipes could all be summarised as 'make a sauce (or marinade or dressing) and add mustard, in one form or another, to it'. So other than this ludicrously simple salad dressing, at the moment, I'm feeling that I may be more of a consumer of than a contributor to this particular spice challenge.

I suspect I fall into the same category as @Ken Natton - the than using mustard as a condiment or in sauces the only other thing I can think of using it for is to coat the surface of a joint of beef for roasting (mixed mustard powder, coarse black pepper and oil). I never use mustard seeds. I think my wife does as she cooks all the curries, not me.

I suspect I fall into the same category as @Ken Natton - the than using mustard as a condiment or in sauces the only other thing I can think of using it for is to coat the surface of a joint of beef for roasting (mixed mustard powder, coarse black pepper and oil). I never use mustard seeds. I think my wife does as she cooks all the curries, not me.

Mustard seeds are not just for curry...

Honey and mustard marinated gammon:

Ingredients:
  • horseshoe gammon steak (250 gm)
  • 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
  • 1 tablespoon honey
View attachment 7759

Method.
  1. Place the steak on a plate or grill rack. Prick all over with a fork (both sides).
  2. Thoroughly mix the prepared mustard and honey and coat the topside of the steak with half of it. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
  3. Turn over the steak and coat with the remaining mustard/honey mixture. Return to the refrigerator for another 1 to 2 hours.
  4. Preheat the grill and grill the steak for 4 to 5 minutes each side.
  5. Serve hot with poached eggs.
View attachment 7760

Can you post this as a new thread @Yorky? Otherwise it won't come up if people search for 'gammon' for example.

Tried @Cinisajoy 's beans with mustard idea yesterday. A heaped teaspoon of Colemans mixed into half a tin of Heinz beans for breakfast, with sausages and a poached egg. It really was very good!

I shall definitely try this, probably with bacon though.

Tried @Cinisajoy 's beans with mustard idea yesterday. A heaped teaspoon of Colemans mixed into half a tin of Heinz beans for breakfast, with sausages and a poached egg. It really was very good!
Thing is, it will be quite different from the original because American mustard powder is much much milder. I am going to use the super hot one I ordered.

Okay, I have a recipe that isn't just make a sauce or a dressing or a marinade and add mustard to it. Okay, here goes:

Make mashed potato and... er... add mustard to it. Hey presto. Mustard mash.

Back
Top Bottom