The CookingBites Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (June 2017): Mustard

To get back to mustard....

Pork chop; gammon and fillet steak.

mustard montage.jpg

Well what about the Irish potato cake? Leave the chives out and add mustard. Or even leave the chives in and add mustard.

No? Still not a contender? Okay, I'm going to have to work a little harder...

That could be a contender... perhaps you could try it out.

OK - a couple of my recipes...
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/sweet-hot-sour-mustard-sauce.9993/ Sweet, Hot & sour mustard sauce. fresh batch made this morning.

And I find that I haven't added one of my favourite recipes that uses leeks, potatoes and mustard.... to make a wonderful dish. I will have to (find it? I was convinced I had written it up) write it up before I add it here.

Leek and potato crust pie (vegetarian)
right - the vegetarian (original) version (https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/leek-and-potato-crust-pie-vegetarian-version.9995/)

Leek and potato crust pie (vegan, mustard version) https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/leek-and-potato-crust-pie-vegan-mustard-version.9994/
the veganised (and more mustardy) version. We actually use this one with a mustard sauce made from wholegrain mustard which is lovely.

I will try to locate a photo for you in due course. I am certain I probably have one somewhere, but it is not a delicate pretty dish, but a robust, substantial dish. I don`t do refined and anything that needs more than a fork or spork to eat it with!

IMG_1633.JPG

Celeriac & potato mash with course English mustard.

Boil up equal parts potato and celeriac in salted water. Drain and mash thoroughly. Mix in butter, cream and mustard to taste (lots of all three in my case). The mustard I used was Mike's Gourmet Course English mustard, which is a bit of cross between Coleman's and wholegrain, but you could use either/both.

Served with steak, Stilton and ale pie.

View attachment 8500

Celeriac & potato mash with course English mustard.

Boil up equal parts potato and celeriac in salted water. Drain and mash thoroughly. Mix in butter, cream and mustard to taste (lots of all three in my case). The mustard I used was Mike's Gourmet Course English mustard, which is a bit of cross between Coleman's and wholegrain, but you could use either/both.

Served with steak, Stilton and ale pie.

What a great idea - I have some celeriac/potato mash in the freezer Do you mean 'Coarse'?

Here's another one. I am not going to have time to make these before the challenge ends, but they are getting nearer the top of my 'to do' list, so maybe over the weekend:
Hot Burgers

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another one. I am not going to have time to make these before the challenge ends, but they are getting nearer the top of my 'to do' list, so maybe over the weekend:

Hot Burgers

Ingredients (makes 4)
500g chuck steak and ribeye (1:1 ratio), minced coarsely
1 tbsp English Mustard
1 tbsp Marmite
1/2 tbsp horseradish sauce.
Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Method
Combine the ingredients in a bowl, Divide into four patties, and shape. Grill or fry in a little oil until cooked to taste. If you have minced the beef yourself, and been meticulous with hygiene you can opt for a less than well done burger, otherwise stick to FSA recommended 160 deg F internal temperature.

Serve in a bun (brioche, if you must) with whatever takes your fancy (cheese, bacon, relish, pickles etc.) but go for something that counters the heat of the burger.
I bet this packs a punch! As this is a recipe, can you post it as a new thread tagged the Spice Challenge.

Its judgement time. This is the most difficult challenge I've ever had to judge (including the Recipe challenge and challenges on other forums!). There were over 15 recipes submitted (2 of which need posting separately as Recipes, @epicuric :whistling:) and lots of interesting tips and tricks for how to use mustard. As a lover of mustard I wanted to try every single one of them!

I can't mention every single recipe or idea or this post would go on forever - but here are some which stood out:
The final shortlist:
Swiss Chard Saag Aloo from @Elawin
Bombay Potatoes from @Yorky
Hot Burgers from @epicuric

In the end I have chosen Hot Burgers, mainly because the recipe took my quite by surprise by combining Marmite, horseradish and English hot mustard. This is something I would not have thought of doing and it really does work. Congratulations @epicuric! I will post up the choice of prizes separately.

A big thanks to everyone who joined in the challenge. The new Spice of the Month will be coming soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom