The CookingBites Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (June 2017): Mustard

Here are the prizes on offer (choose one):

Oxo Good Grips Mandolin
81iTu0YHBKL._SL1500_.jpg 51UCTMYVIjL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg 51G0DuqkVYL._SX357_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

KitchenCraft Swedish Rosette Iron Set

41IgJo3JSfL.jpg 51MOHLCXtcL._SX365_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Plus the bonus prize:
7787-90ba44e5c69cdb82634a84d429ec87bf.jpg

Its judgement time. This is the most difficult challenge I've ever had to judge (including the Recipe challenge and challenges on other forums!). There were over 15 recipes submitted (2 of which need posting separately as Recipes, @epicuric :whistling:) and lots of interesting tips and tricks for how to use mustard. As a lover of mustard I wanted to try every single one of them!

I can't mention every single recipe or idea or this post would go on forever - but here are some which stood out:
The final shortlist:
Swiss Chard Saag Aloo from @Elawin
Bombay Potatoes from @Yorky
Hot Burgers from @epicuric

In the end I have chosen Hot Burgers, mainly because the recipe took my quite by surprise by combining Marmite, horseradish and English hot mustard. This is something I would not have thought of doing and it really does work. Congratulations @epicuric! I will post up the choice of prizes separately.

A big thanks to everyone who joined in the challenge. The new Spice of the Month will be coming soon.

Thank you so much @morning glory - I didn't even know this was a competition! It is the first time I have entered, and thought it was more like the cookalong. It has been a great thread, and I have picked up many new ideas from the other entries. Congratulations to all the other entrants and I hope the next episode will be as well supported.

Here are the prizes on offer (choose one):

Oxo Good Grips Mandolin
View attachment 8631 View attachment 8632 View attachment 8634

KitchenCraft Swedish Rosette Iron Set

View attachment 8635 View attachment 8633

Plus the bonus prize:
View attachment 8636
Second surprise of the day - there is also a prize!

Well, you know I have a physical aversion to mandolins - my fingertips are trembling even looking at that photo. I think I have the Strawbridge book somewhere, and I have no cattle that need branding, so it is a toss up between the Indian and the Syrian books. Both appeal equally, so would you be so good as to choose for me please?
Thank you very much :)

The Syrian book arrived on Thursday, thank you! Most of the recipes are completely new to me, but most of the ingredients I am familiar with from time spent in Cyprus - I am looking forward to cooking some of the recipes when I go back in September.

Already the book has inspired a much lighter than usual Sunday lunch for tomorrow - will post pics then.

Back
Top Bottom