The CookingBites Spice Challenge: Spice of the Month (May 2017) - Turmeric

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:32 AM
Each month we'll be showcasing a different spice. I'll be writing up some information about the spice and then its over to you to come up with your tips, tricks or recipes using the spice. There is a prize for the most interesting idea or recipe (to be posted anywhere in the world, customs permitting). Just add your ideas to this thread or if you have a recipe, then post it as a new thread and tag it ‘Turmeric' and 'spice challenge'. So, as you already realised, this month, the featured spice is Turmeric! Deadline for entries extended to midnight Monday June 5th (BST)

Curry-Turmeric.jpg

Turmeric - the info

Cultivation

Turmeric (curcuma longa) is a yellowy orange rhizome belonging to the same family of plants as ginger. Large quantities are grown and consumed in India, as well as being exported. Turmeric is also grown in China, Taiwan, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Australia, Africa, Peru and the West Indies. It grows to approximately 3 feet high, with long stemmed leaves and pale yellow flowers. The majority of turmeric rhizomes are dried and ground and sold as powder. If you are lucky enough to be able to obtain it fresh then make the most of it - the fragrance and taste is much more complex than with ground turmeric. In the UK some supermarkets now stock fresh turmeric and it can be obtained on-line. Waitrose stock it in some branches.

Aroma and flavour

Turmeric has a slightly woody, musky aroma and a warm flavour with a hint of bitter-sweetness. It is a subtle spice and combines beautifully with coriander, cumin and chilli in curry dishes.

Nutritional value
Turmeric is widely believed to have medicinal properties and has been used in folk medicine. It has now become popular in alternative medicine circles, where it is claimed to be effective in treating a broad spectrum of diseases including cancer, Alzheimer’s, arthritis, and diabetes. However, Clinical research on turmeric funded by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine is not very encouraging. stating that there is little reliable evidence to support the use of turmeric for any health condition because few clinical trials have been conducted.

Turmeric is source of many essential vitamins such as vitamin B6, choline, niacin, and riboflavin. The fresh root contains good levels of vitamin C. Turmeric also contains minerals like calcium, iron, potassium, manganese, copper, zinc, and magnesium. Curcumin, is the primary pigment that imparts deep orange colour to the turmeric. Some laboratory animal studies have suggested that the curcumin may have anti-tumour, antioxidant, anti-arthritic, anti-amyloid, anti-ischemic, and anti-inflammatory properties.

Culinary uses
The whole plant is edible; the roots are boiled, dried and ground up to produce turmeric powder, the leaves make a wrap for steamed fish, and even the flowers can be eaten. Sometimes it is suggested that turmeric can be used to replace saffron. This is not surprising because it will colour your dishes a deep yellow, just as saffron does. But the flavour of turmeric is far removed from saffron.

Turmeric can be used it all sorts of recipes. It works very well in fish dishes, curries and soups and will colour you rice a pretty yellow if you add a teaspoon to the cooking water. It is widely used in Indian and North African cooking. It can be used in baking too, in both bread and cakes, to add colour and a subtle flavour. I like to use fresh turmeric grated over savoury dishes. It looks pretty and adds a lovely aroma - I keep the rhizomes in the freezer and grate directly from frozen. See here: Turmeric Roasted Aubergine with Mung Bean Curry

Turmeric is also often used in pickles and chutneys and provides the characteristic yellow of Piccalilli. It is also used in the food production industry to provide yellow colour for butter, mustards and cheese products.

Its a very versatile spice. Its worth experimenting with!

Now its over to you. Do you use Turmeric? Tell us your ideas, tips and recipes for using this aromatic spice. Deadline for entries is midday (GMT) 1st June 2017.

Last edited:
Now I definitely have something to offer for the spice challenge, but I still want to discuss it first. I am definitely no expert in the use of turmeric. The truth is, the only thing I use it for is to colour flavoured rice. So that would be nothing more than rice boiled in stock rather than water. A little turmeric colours the rice yellow, and then add some cooked from frozen peas and sweetcorn to the rice after draining. Great accompaniment to all kinds of things.

There is a little more than that to the recipe I want to offer, but the turmeric is still there just for a little colour. What is often spoken about with turmeric is its earthiness, if you put too much either in the flavoured rice or in this dish, the earthiness it would give would be too much. For enough rice for five or six people you need only one level teaspoon of turmeric to give the rice the required colour.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/chicken-and-chorizo-rice.9550/

Now I definitely have something to offer for the spice challenge, but I still want to discuss it first. I am definitely no expert in the use of turmeric. The truth is, the only thing I use it for is to colour flavoured rice. So that would be nothing more than rice boiled in stock rather than water. A little turmeric colours the rice yellow, and then add some cooked from frozen peas and sweetcorn to the rice after draining. Great accompaniment to all kinds of things.

There is a little more than that to the recipe I want to offer, but the turmeric is still there just for a little colour. What is often spoken about with turmeric is its earthiness, if you put too much either in the flavoured rice or in this dish, the earthiness it would give would be too much. For enough rice for five or six people you need only one level teaspoon of turmeric to give the rice the required colour.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/chicken-and-chorizo-rice.9550/

Well, I mentioned it my post:

Turmeric can be used it all sorts of recipes. It works very well in fish dishes, curries and soups and will colour your rice a pretty yellow if you add a teaspoon to the cooking water.

But please do post it - the additions of vegetables make a difference and a lot of folks might not know the trick of yellow rice.

Having said that - now is you chance to experiment. Google turmeric recipes and have a bit of fun. It can be used in desserts too!

Some laboratory animal studies have suggested that the curcumin may have anti-tumour, antioxidant, anti-arthritic, anti-amyloid, anti-ischemic, and anti-inflammatory properties.
It is supposed to have antiseptic properties too, and (believe it or not) a little on your toothbrush can be used to whiten teeth :)

An unusual use for turmeric (unusual everywhere but here).

During many Khmer ceremonies it is normal to "bless" certain prominent guests by wrapping strands of silk around the wrist. The silk has been previously soaked in turmeric solution (still wet) and one could end up with 100 silk bands in certain cases. And, as you will imagine, your clothes and anything else that you touch suffer badly.

Good Afternoon ( 12.15pm here )

Fascinating post ..

Tumeric is very common in Indian and in some Middle Eastern Cuisines. I am not very familiar with home gourmet-ing these 2 cuisines, though once in awhile, we enjoy dining out at an Indian or Middle Eastern Restaurant, particularly Moroccan .. Barcelona has some excellent options ..

However, I do blend up a Smoothie or a Tumeric, Ginger & Carrot Gaspacho ..

See here: Turmeric, Ginger and Carrot Gaspacho

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Afternoon ( 12.15pm here )

Fascinating post ..

Tumeric is very common in Indian and in some Middle Eastern Cuisines. I am not very familiar with home gourmet-ing these 2 cuisines, though once in awhile, we enjoy dining out at an Indian or Middle Eastern Restaurant, particularly Moroccan .. Barcelona has some excellent options ..

However, I do blend up a Smoothie or a Tumeric, Ginger & Carrot Gaspacho ..

Technically, you just missed the deadline on this one - but as there are so few entries I've extended the deadline to June 5th. If you post recipes we ask you to post them as a new thread in the relevant section so that if people do a search they will come up. I will copy and move your recipe. :okay:

Last edited:
@morning glory

Shall do. I am "learning my way around " .. Sorry ..

Thank you for extending the date. I make this when I am home. Truly an energiser .. I drink this at 11am .. My mid morning pick up ..

Have a lovely weekend.

Back
Top Bottom