The CookingBites Spice Challenge: Spice of the Month (May 2017) - Turmeric

OK - its judgement time. We had 6 entries in all and I thought every one of them was a contender. The entries were (in no particular order):

@Ken Natton's Chicken and Chorizo Rice This is a delightfully straightforward dish and would be a great recipe to recommend to someone who had never cooked with turmeric. Personally I'm not a chorizo fan but I can see how it would work very well in this dish. I think the colour combinations of yellow rice, green peas and red onion would look very good on the plate.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn's Mushroom Curry with rice and chipatti
Well, I always love a curry and I will probably be cooking this one soon. Great spicing!

@Elawin's Anda Dar-Behest (Aromatic Souffle Omelette) and Alu Bhoone (Sauteed Potatoes)
Two entries on one plate! I thought the combination of spices was well judged in both dishes. There is no doubt that turmeric partners very well with both eggs and potatoes and the turmeric takes centre stage in both dishes

@Francesca's Turmeric, Ginger and Carrot Gaspacho
I imagine this is a vibrantly brightly coloured smoothie with the oranges, carrots, turmeric and mango. But would the turmeric flavour be lost alongside the fruit, I wondered.

@Yorky's Aromatic yellow rice (Madhur Jaffrey)
What's not to like? Rice is the perfect vehicle to showcase the beautiful colour and subtle taste of turmeric.

Well as you might imagine this is not easy to judge. In the end I've decided to award the prize to @Elawin for both her recipes, not least for managing to combine two turmeric recipes on one plate!

Congratulations @Elawin! You can now choose one of the following prizes! You will need to PM me a postal address.

OXO good grips mandolin slicer

images-230.jpeg

The Flavour Thesaurus by Niki Segnit - Hardback (June 2010)

41FZ-5ZnLIL._AC_US320_QL65_.jpg

Deiss® PRO Citrus Lemon Zester & Cheese Grater

$_58.JPG

Fresh India: 130 Quick, Easy and Delicious Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day- Hardcover (7 Jul 2016)

51UCTMYVIjL._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

@morning glory.

Yes, this is a dramatically gorgeous vibrant sunset orange color ..

This depends on how much tumeric one uses and this is a healthy Smoothie, a remedy energise .. It is quite fragrant .. Of course, spices are always subjective in the sense of what each person is veered towards or likes ..

However, the beverage is well balanced, and carrot does not overwhelm nor does the mango .. One can distinguish the two plus the tumeric etc.

Thanks and have a lovely day ..

Woohoo! Thank you! I really didn't expect that. Now comes the big decision time, what prize to choose. It's not going to be the mandolin - I'm far too accident prone when it comes to sharp objects as it is. I'll stick to my trusty bread knife which seems to be able to cut and slice finely. Over the years I seem to have collected graters of various types, and one of those has a fine slicer on it too (and I've never come through using that unscathed!). It will have to be one of the books......

Right, after much deliberation, soul searching, and drooling, it has got to be Fresh India.

Thank you once again, and look out for some of my attempts at the recipes :D

@Elawin

Definitely a book would be my choice as well .. My books need an apartment of their own literally !

The Flavor Bible is an amazingly extraordinary book .. I picked it up at Yearly International Book Fair held in all of Spain between Late May to June 18th every year.

Congratulations once again and have a nice day ahead ..

Back
Top Bottom