The CookingBites Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (November 2017): Vanilla

Vanilla cured salmon with cucumber ketchup, charred cucumber and pickled ginger

I'm going to jump right in and post a savoury recipe that, for obvious reasons, I couldn't possibly have tried! It does however come from a very reliable source (James Martin), and I have no reason to expect that this recipe does not work. If you follow the link in the recipe, there is a video clip from the series. The photo is a still from the video.

Untitled.jpg

https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...up-charred-cucumber-and-pickled-ginger.11192/

Vanilla cured salmon with cucumber ketchup, charred cucumber and pickled ginger

I'm going to jump right in and post a savoury recipe that, for obvious reasons, I couldn't possibly have tried! It does however come from a very reliable source (James Martin), and I have no reason to expect that this recipe does not work. If you follow the link in the recipe, there is a video clip from the series. The photo is a still from the video.

View attachment 11414

https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...up-charred-cucumber-and-pickled-ginger.11192/

I trust James Martin. Are you going to try making it @Elawin ? I think I will...

this is going to be a difficult challenge! Vegan (or even vegan plus eggs) and vanilla simply comes up with sweets, biscuits and desserts except for a single recipe which tbh is rather simple and hardly warrants writing up (though it is apt for the UK, winter and approaching seasonal events!)

Does this spice challenge require it to be a savory recipe? I am planning to do at least one such recipe, but I'm also planning to do a boring sweet recipe with vanilla shortly. Would that qualify for the challenge?
It was just more of a challenge to come up with something savoury... Vanilla always seems to get made into sweet things

I have quite a few recipes in my "collection" that have vanilla as an ingredient, and @morning glory does mention fish in the intro. It so happens that that was the only savoury recipe I had, and then only because I have all the recipes from the Home Comforts series 1, 2, and 3.

Its a good series and I am going to make the recipe you posted! But all vanilla recipes are welcome.

Back
Top Bottom