The CookingBites Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (November 2017): Vanilla

Thank you to everyone for their contributions. There were 9 entries in total and choosing a winner has not been easy!

Elawin
Vanilla cured salmon with cucumber ketchup, charred cucumber and pickled ginger
I made this recipe and it was very delicious. The vanilla taste is subtle and interesting. Its something I will do again.

Salzburger Nockerl
A very delightful soufflé - so pretty!

The Late Night Gourmet
Apple Crumble Cupcakes
A lovely elision of crumble and cake.

Potatoes Roasted in Vanilla Pepper Oil
This stood out as bold and original. I haven't yet tried it but I know it will work. I've recently been using vanilla with Jerusalem artichokes based on this idea.

Sandra
Risotto with artichokes and vanilla (Risotto ai carciofi mantecato alla vaniglia)
A beautiful and original dish, well presented. I can imagine the vanilla working as well with globe artichokes as with Jerusalem artichokes.

ElizabethB
Vanilla Kahlua
This home-made liqueur sounds as if it could knock your socks off! Good thinking to have entered a drink recipe.

Vanilla Bean "Pig Candy"
This was new to me as I hadn't come across Pig Candy before. A great the combination of smoky, salty and sweet with a vanilla twist.

Savory Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet and savoury, this casserole is a very rich dish. I like the cayenne pepper and vanilla combo.

SatNavSaysStraightOn
Vanilla dairy free ice-cream (see last post in thread)
I'm partial to vanilla ice-cream on occasion and the description of the recipe sounds good.

Finally, I shortlisted two recipes: Risotto with artichokes and vanilla (Risotto ai carciofi mantecato alla vaniglia) from @Sandra and Potatoes Roasted in Vanilla Pepper Oil from @The Late Night Gourmet. I really can't choose between them but as there is only one prize, then I have to decide who gets it! The Late Night Gourmet won the Challenge not long ago so for that reason I've chosen Sandra as the prizewinner. But you are both winners really! :woot:

Sandra you need to choose a prize from below and then PM me an address to send it to.

Deiss® PRO Citrus Lemon Zester & Cheese Grater

9432-a9e6a8d32c24426bd8acd189f8f4557d-jpg.jpg

Fresh India: 130 Quick, Easy and Delicious Vegetarian Recipes for Every Day- Hardcover (Jul 2016)

9431-cdf4dbd608d9318e73443596859cfe6b-jpg.jpg

Sirocco: Fabulous Flavours from the East - Hardcover (May 2016)

611nk8oyx-l-_sx385_bo1-204-203-200_-jpg.jpg

Syria: Recipes from Home - Hardcover (4 May 2017)

51y-nq3yr8l-_sx379_bo1-204-203-200_-jpg.jpg

OXO Good Grips Mandolin Slicer

41ppcubhivl-_ac_us436_ql65_-2-jpg.jpg

Perfect Cook - Best Digital Meat Thermometer & Cooking Timer

unknown-174-jpg.jpg

Wow, thank you! and congrats to @The Late Night Gourmet. I'm really honored!:dance:
Your preparation was superb (and nicely photographed, too). The next time I make risotto, I will give this a try, but maybe I'll give it a splash of my vanilla pepper oil. :)

Back
Top Bottom