The CookingBites Spice Challenge - Spice of the Month (September 2017): Saffron

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:03 PM
Each month we showcase a different spice. I'll be writing up some information about the spice and its over to you to come up with your tips, tricks or recipes using the spice. There is a prize for the most interesting idea or recipe (to be posted anywhere in the world, customs permitting). Just add your ideas to this thread or if you have a recipe, then post it as a new thread and tag it ‘Saffron' and 'spice challenge'. So, as you already realised, this month, the featured spice is Saffron! Deadline for entries midday Sunday 1st Oct. 2017 (BST)

miasa_saffron_longthreads_openmagnum_wide-1920x960.jpg

Saffron - the Info:

Cultivation
Saffron is made from the bright orange stigmas of a type of crocus flower (Crocus Salivus).The stigmas can only be picked by hand and it takes 250,000 stigmas to make just half a kilo of saffron, hence its high price. Fortunately, a little saffron goes a long way.

The very best saffron is said to come from from Valencia or La Manch in Span but it is also grown in Greece, Iran, Morocco and Kashmir. Iran accounts for approximately 90% of the world production of saffron .Real Spanish-grown La Mancha saffron has PDO protected status and this is displayed on the product packaging.

Aroma and flavour
Saffron has an inimitable taste with a certain warmth. It needs to be used sparingly or it can taste quite medicinal. Safflower or 'Mexican Saffron’ and Turmeric are sometimes substituted for saffron and whilst they will add yellow colour, neither have the fine flavour of true saffron. Here is how Niki Segnit describes the taste and aroma of saffron in her marvellous book, ’The Flavour Thesaurus’.

“Saffron combines the flavours of sea air, sweet dried grass and a hint of rusting metal. - it’s the spice equivalent of Derek Jarman’s garden on the bleak shingle beach at Dungeoness, defiantly strange and beautiful"

Culinary use
Saffron adds not only a delicate perfumed flavour to dishes but also a striking yellow colour. Saffron is widely used in Persian, Indian, European, and Arab cuisines. In many cultures it is added to special dishes such as celebration Pilaus in India. Rice dishes from the Mediterranean, such as Spanish Paella and Italian Risotto Milanese are also flavoured with saffron, as is Bouillabaisse, the famous sea-food soup. It is also used in many sweet recipes such as milky rice and custard like desserts from India as well as in baked goods including bread and cakes.

Now its over to you. How do you use saffron? Tell us your ideas, tips and recipes for using saffron. Deadline for entries is midday (GMT) 1st Oct. 2017.

Last edited:
On a personal note, Saffron used to be grown in the UK in Saffron Walden, Essex (hence the name of the town!). I spend quite a lot of time there staying with my friend. A few years ago the local tourist board were encouraging residents to grow the Saffron Crocus and were selling the corms. I managed to successfully grow some and harvest the saffron - which amounted to less than a half a thimbleful!

Last edited:
On a personal note, Saffron used to be grown in the UK in Saffron Walden, Essex (hence the name of the town!). I spend quite a lot of time there staying with my friend. A few years ago the local tourist board were encouraging residents to grow the Saffron Crocus and were selling the corms. I managed to successfully grow some and harvest the saffron - which amounted to less than a half a thimbleful!
It is still being grown in Essex, Devon and Norfolk, albeit on a small scale. I haven't used it in anything since the 1970s.....

@morning glory

Exemplary article.

I have only used it in Paellas or Risotto Milanese ..

I purchase it from a business connection, who sells it from the Castille La Mancha designation of origin and the harvest is always the week of September 28th ..

Have a lovely evening ..

@morning glory

Exemplary article.

I have only used it in Paellas or Risotto Milanese ..

I purchase it from a business connection, who sells it from the Castille La Mancha designation of origin and the harvest is always the week of September 28th ..

Have a lovely evening ..

There are so many ways to use it. Saffron and fish/shellfish for example or then there is the brilliant Saffy Mash invented by Simon Hopkins
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/recipes/saffron-mashed-potatoes-753843.html

Saffron likes chicken too...

I haven't used saffron very much in the past. I'm not sure why. Perhaps this thread will encourage me to use it. We have some in a jar but I think it is at least 3 years old. Will it still be OK to use or will it have lost flavour?

:D Use it sparingly would be my only advice.
My neck was rather pink and warm after my cup of saffron tea, but I think that may have been the green tea rather than the saffron. I haven't had green tea before (or maybe not for many years), and I'm not really supposed to drink it with one of my meds, but I must say it tasted rather nice.

Back
Top Bottom