the tale of two grinders

medtran : as you know there is not much to installl wrong , but with that said it was the 1st thing i checked, also regarding the hole size of the plate ,
it came with two sizes, 1/8 & 3/8 i got pretty much the same result with them both
and by "stalling" i mean the auger stops turning
as an electrican the 1st thing that came to my mind was a bad "run" capicator
so i took it out and tested it ( it only has one capicator )
i also made sure the direction the auger turned
just to make sure i wasn't installing the cutting blade backwards ,
after running it with no load and using an amp meter i confirmed it was at least (1) it was the correct HP motor
and (2) that there seemed to be no problems with the gear box .
thats why i am stumped !!!
the meat should not be to large
( the same size peice of meat will go through the small grinder and never even slow it down )
and is firm but not frozen

medtran : as you know there is not much to installl wrong , but with that said it was the 1st thing i checked, also regarding the hole size of the plate ,
it came with two sizes, 1/8 & 3/8 i got pretty much the same result with them both
and by "stalling" i mean the auger stops turning
as an electrican the 1st thing that came to my mind was a bad "run" capicator
so i took it out and tested it ( it only has one capicator )
i also made sure the direction the auger turned
just to make sure i wasn't installing the cutting blade backwards ,
after running it with no load and using an amp meter i confirmed it was at least (1) it was the correct HP motor
and (2) that there seemed to be no problems with the gear box .
thats why i am stumped !!!
the meat should not be to large
( the same size peice of meat will go through the small grinder and never even slow it down )
and is firm but not frozen

I would just return it, and buy something else. It sounds like you are putting in a lot of your own time and effort, when it should work right out of the box. Plus, you've tried two of them.

CD

its been over a year so there is no returning it , i have a great nephew inlaw that is an electrical enginer so i i thought one day i might call him and get his thoughts on it

The only thing similar we've had happen was with the KA when I tried to make dough for 6 full size pizzas in 1 batch and stripped the sacrificial gear. My DH ended up taking it apart and replacing the gear. The gears were all metal, except for the 1 that stripped, which was made out of some kind of hard plastic or similar. I'm guessing you've checked all the gears but DH suggested you go back and look at all the gears closely when I asked and told him what you have already done in case there is a gear that is damaged enough not to be able to handle under load but will work when not under load.

Again, I would also Google the brand and model about your problem if you haven't already.

its one of those no name made in china things , i just think its funny that the little 1/4 hp grinder will put the big one to shame , its several years old and still going strong

yep , i got suckered by their advertizing !!!!
but more than that it just bugs the hell out of me because i can't figure out the problem with it
as an electrian i'm supposed to be an expert on this , but i have flat out failed to find the problem
these past 40 years should have taught me something ...but i guess not
the only thing i haven't taken apart is the gear box and looked at the gears but by running it with no load and measuring the amp draw if something was wrong there i should have detected it

Back
Top Bottom