The thing I hate about cooking is...

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:57 PM
In my case, I hate chopping onions. Its nothing to do with the fact they can make you cry. A good cry can be quite therapeutic. I just hate the fact I have to chop onions so often. So many recipes call for chopped onions! Boring...

Anyway - as someone who loves to cook, what do you hate about cooking?

In my case, I hate chopping onions. Its nothing to do with the fact they can make you cry. A good cry can be quite therapeutic. I just hate the fact I have to chop onions so often. So many recipes call for chopped onions! Boring...

Anyway - as someone who loves to cook, what do you hate about cooking?

I hate that also!! You can nip that in the bud quick, fast & in a hurry!

This past Thanksgiving, as with previous ones, while in Georgia, I always help my nephew's wife cook. I cut up the celery, green peppers & onions for the stuffing. I peeled all the onions, cut them in half & put them in a bowl of cold water & let them sit for a while.

I proceeded to cut up the green peppers & celery. A good hour had passed since the onion were in the water. When I was ready to chop them up, there were no acidic juices squirting out!! I did not have to worry about any of it squirting in my eyes!! :wink:

Onion Goggles..jpg

Morning Glory, you might want to get a pair of THESE. onion Goggles. :wink:

I do not cook daily and so, I have no real dislikes ..

I could never cook on a daily basis with a full time & over time career ..

View attachment 13278

Morning Glory, you might want to get a pair of THESE. onion Goggles. :wink:
I don't use eye protection for onions. I've found that a really sharp knife generally gets me past the problems with onions. Squirting juice is the result of the cell walls in the onion being crushed by a not-sharp-enough knife. A very sharp knife doesn't take care of all of it, but it certainly makes it manageable.

However, when cutting some wickedly hot pepper (like habaneros recently), I always wear eye protection. I can wash onion juice out of my eyes with water, but I could end up in the hospital if I get a habanero seed in my eye.

Back
Top Bottom