The thing I hate about cooking is...

I don't hate chopping onions or peppers. I just do it and I do it frequently. I use onions and peppers a lot.

What I chiefly hate about cooking is going out to the market and not finding what I went looking for.

I also hate having veggies and fruit go bad quickly in the regurgitator (refrigerator). :laugh:

I always use the trinity (onions, green peppers & celery) when cooking meats, spaghetti sauces, soups & such. :wink:

I don't hate chopping onions or peppers. I just do it and I do it frequently. I use onions and peppers a lot.

What I chiefly hate about cooking is going out to the market and not finding what I went looking for.

I also hate having veggies and fruit go bad quickly in the regurgitator (refrigerator). :laugh:
There are three categories of perishable food that I buy at the supermarket:
  1. Ingredients that I always have on-hand, like carrots, red onion, green onion, garlic, ginger, cilantro, peppers. Lately, I've gotten in the habit of buying unripe avocados and letting them ripen for a few days while I enjoy the ripe ones.
  2. Things I see that catch my attention for whatever reason; chuck steak was marked down from $5.99/lb to $2.99/lb, so I bought a big piece, cut it, and froze part of it (and part went into my lunch today). Other things like mushrooms, brussels sprouts, kiwi, and so on end up in my basket without a clear idea of what I want to do with them.
  3. I have a recipe in mind when I go shopping. The Pomegranate Challenge is a great example of this.
Of the three, the middle one is the one where I tend to waste things the most often. I'll get a bunch of some odd ingredients with the intention of using them for something, then I'll forget about them. Then I finally have an idea, and I have to throw out the ingredients. The interesting thing is, I bought a bunch of mushrooms with the plan of making a soup, and I ended up using them in 3 different recipes instead.

Interesting. I learned from Mom to make Spaghetti Sauce with ground up celery, but I don't use celery in my sauces any more.

It is interesting. It is very much a Southern States thing - so I have learned thanks to our US members! Its a combo I've been using recently in all kinds of ways.

I don't mind chopping onions, but then my eyes do not water. I am very careful when chopping chillies though.

I hate washing up - that is what my dishwasher is for. I do have a few things that cannot go in it. I wash these up by hand (rather grudgingly) and afterwards use the washing up water to rinse stuff in before it goes in the dishwasher.

They used to sell peeled garlic in one of the supermarkets here but I've not seen any for ages.

Also, I have to keep them in the freezer to avoid spoilage. They will start to spoil after being in the fridge for a long time. :eek:

I puree it and then freeze it.

pureed garlic montage.jpg

Peeling onions I don't find a problem except when "aspergillus niger" is present (quite common here). I find the problem with garlic is the "stickyness". The skins stick to your fingers and you're forever washing your hands if peeling many heads.

Having made Gingerbread men with the whole of Reception class today(ages 4-5), I have remembered that I am not particularly keen on the rubbing in method!! However, the children did a great job and they were delicious. My back is still recovering from leaning over the low table for a whole morning.

I love cooking. I hate cleaning up. My wife suggests that I clean as I cook. Then that ruins the fun of cooking lol
Definitely. While I put dishes and pans in the dishwasher straightaway, I must admit I tend to leave everything else till the morning (I eat late). Then I have to clean up before I can do breakfast :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom