The thing I hate about cooking is...

Maybe it is time for ME to get a new peeler. The blade on mine seems rather dull. Had it for a while, since the '80s! :wink:

I have never sharpened a potato peeler. Strange that it is apparent that I've never needed to. I wouldn't know how anyway.

36325935-3523-42FE-B804-C3F0C22F2746.jpeg
DBE4C912-08D6-415E-B89D-C37659C0E032.jpeg

Just look at how glorious this is: 1 pound of brisket, 2 pounds of chuck steak, and what happens to them when you put them in a meat grinder. It took me four minutes to grind all that beef.

What I won’t show you are pictures of the cleanup. Probably took about half an hour to get all the parts clean enough to put in the dishwasher, and to disinfect all the surfaces that were anywhere near the grinding operation. Worth it, but something I don’t do very often for that very reason.

I used to use a small hand operated unit to mince beef but found that mincing 2 - 3 kg was a pain. I changed to buying the beef in chunks and having the shop mince it for me. Now the same shop doesn't sell beef anymore so I have to buy it already minced and frozen from my western supplier (I've given the mincer away).

. Probably took about half an hour to get all the parts clean enough to put in the dishwasher, and to disinfect all the surfaces that were anywhere near the grinding operation.
This is why I don't have a mincer (grinder). :) If I go to the trouble of travelling (yes I have to travel - no good butchers or indeed any butchers in this town) then I ask the butcher to mince it.

I used to use a small hand operated unit to mince beef but found that mincing 2 - 3 kg was a pain.
I had one as well. Besides being unpleasant to operate (and just as unpleasant to clean), it would take so long to grind that the meat would start to thaw, and the equipment would start to warm up, while I was grinding it. You'll see the expression cold is your friend repeated many times if you ever visit a forum that talks about grinding meat: when the meat warms up, it starts to smear in the grinder. My grinder did the job so fast that my fingertips were numb from handing it.

Despite all the negatives, I do really love grinding my own. There's something about picking my own cut of meat, combining it with seasoning I like, and even blending it with other cuts that's very satisfying. I can control my fat content. What results is always outstanding. And, seriously, how much do you think a hamburger made from 35% brisket and 65% chuck would cost you at a restaurant?

View attachment 13534 View attachment 13535

Just look at how glorious this is: 1 pound of brisket, 2 pounds of chuck steak, and what happens to them when you put them in a meat grinder. It took me four minutes to grind all that beef.

What I won’t show you are pictures of the cleanup. Probably took about half an hour to get all the parts clean enough to put in the dishwasher, and to disinfect all the surfaces that were anywhere near the grinding operation. Worth it, but something I don’t do very often for that very reason.

screw meeting for dinner somewhere. What's your address :)

View attachment 13534 View attachment 13535

Cuisinbart Food Procssor..jpg

Rather than get a grinder, I just chop up the raw meat in the food processor, using the pulse button with short bursts to keep from over-processing. About 8 to 10 short puleses is enough to Get the Job Done!! And cleanup is easy! I just wash all the parts except the motor base by hand in hot soapy water. :wink:

Last edited:
Mine would be that it always take a good chunk of my precious time. I always want t make a fantastic meal for the hubby but I also want to spend time with him not spend all day in the kitchen. I know what you mean about the onions @ElizabethB I use to work in a restaurant where I would chop onions pretty much every day. I would dice so many of those things daily and my eyes would be so red and watery lol. Eventually I started getting immune to it lol. Then when I was cooking with my mother in law in Egypt for the first time there. I was chopping an onion and man the minute i cut that thing my eyes were blinded by tears lol I couldn't even finsh cutting it . My mother in law and husband got a real kick out of that it was pretty funny:laugh:. Onions are so strong here so my immunity was broken right away. I still chop onions though but I'm careful I chop near an open window and I chop it fast and keep my face away from it as much as possible. They still make me tear up but just a tiny bit.

Back
Top Bottom