The Wildcard Challenge: Blindfolded Ingredient Selection!

@The Late Night Gourmet
Contestants on Chopped are given access to the pantry and fridge in addition to their crazy basket ingredients. Do we have that access after our blind choice?
I know there were a ton of rules, but the second to last rule was:
  • You can use any other ingredients you like to add to the 4 ingredients.
If somebody wants to use only those 4 ingredients, they can. But they don’t have to.

Yes, fresh mint. I don't drink alcohol and don't eat dairy so it is totally for my parents. I'll have minty rhubarb.
You don’t necessarily have to turn this into a drink. Gin works beautifully as a flambé “fuel”, particularly in desserts. And, you can reduce the alcohol to the point where all you get is the juniper berry flavor of the gin.

Good girl! I can't say the same.:oops: Don't you even do alcohol if its cooked? I reckon gin and rhubarb could be a most interesting combo. Those botanicals in the gin could work really well with the sharp rhubarb.

Thank you for the ideas. I remember rhubarb gin being fashionable a few years ago. I'm stuck on the mint - other than a decorative sprig.

Eta: maybe a syrup.

I don't think I could pick anything randomly.

I have my non fridge items in many different places, like jars,anything in a bottle, tins, packets, herbs and spices.
Everything in the fridge is always in the same place, ie eggs, cheese, pesto condiments and ingredients in jars and tubes, meat drawer, fruit and vegetables drawer (fruit on the left, salad and veg on the right.).

I was thinking of writing a list of the all the usable items and picking randomly from this?
Or writing a list of the different shelves and places and picking the places out of the hat then putting my hand in blindfold

@Kake Lover

I like your idea of blind picking from a list. My list would be a long one - I have the fridge, bottom freezer, spice cabinet, pantry and 2 freezers in G's shop. @The Late Night Gourmet - would that be acceptable?
Certainly. I just wanted to provide a framework for a variety of options.

9EDCE95D-4F0A-4C7F-B896-035CF55C39AC.jpeg

Here are the ingredients my daughter picked out for me. She said they would be impossible to work with, but I have some ideas. As an extra bit of lunacy, I’m actually going to be doing this under a time limit: 30 minutes, and we’ll see what happens! That will be the subject of the following post.

As it is on the show, I decided to only give myself about a minute to think about what to make with the ingredients. I also had the oven preheated, a pot of water boiling, and the deep fryer heated up, just in case I need to use any of those. This way, the 30 minutes is entirely prep work and cooking, and not just waiting for water to boil.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom