There's got to be an easier way!

sunny

Veteran
Local time
4:26 PM
I cook ground beef a lot. And when it's time to drain the fat from the pan, I tip it over and place my spatula over the meat so it doesn't fall out. I run the fat out into a jar, and that's that. But sometimes bits of hamburger will fall out of the pan and either fall into the jar, or onto the oven. Is there an easier way to drain fat from a pan?!

Are you able to hold the lid in in place?

The pan I use has a cover so I always use the cover when I am draining the fat from the pan. I suppose you could use a strainer that would work and be much easier and you wouldn't lose any when you are draining it.

If you are using corn starch as the amalgam, maybe you need to put more so the ground beef will stick. And when you drain the oil (or fatty residue) use a strainer with that metal screen so there will be no impurities in the oil. When we cook hamburger at home, it is common for some bits to get loose from the hamburger. But we don't see them as a waste because we use those bits of burgers as fertilizer for the plants particularly for the compost bin.

Like what had been said here a strainer is better to use and is an easy way to drain the fat of the hamburger from the pan.

As others have said, a sieve over the jar would work.

one of these things. I use mine constantly - such to the point that I have several of them in different sizes and the main size I have a couple of them.
seive.jpg

My pan is heavy cast iron so I use a strainer a lot easier.

My pan is heavy also, and I have to rest part of it on the edge of the counter when I strain the fat off using a sieve in the sink. I used to try just using the spatula also, but over the years, I've found this to be a better and easier way.

To strain the fat off the ground beef I like to tip the pan and have the fat drain down and push the ground beef up to the highest part of the pan separating the two. My pan is heavy as well so I'll take a large spoon and scoop out the fat into an old yogurt container. I try not to put the fat down the sink as it will eventually clog up your plumbing. I've also tried to use a sieve too but it seems so time consuming taking the meat out and putting it back into the pan and then you can loose some along the way.

In my household my mom and I use both the pan lids and juice or pasta strainers to drain the water from the meat. With the pasta strainer it is easier because it can hold itself up on its own, but with a regular strainer we have to hold up the strainer with a plastic tupperwar, so it's a little harder.

Back
Top Bottom