Things on Toast

The thing is, by the time I get them to a taste to suit me I'll probably be at death's door.
Don't say that! We are both of an age. Thing is, that Heinz and the like have a tomato sauce which has something like cornflour added. Not something one would normally add to tomato sauce. It gives them that gloopy consistency that we have learned to love and crave, That plus the sugar that is added. I think I could replicate it but as I can get the beans so cheap here, its hardly worth it!

Don't say that! We are both of an age.

Ah, but one must realise that generally female life expectancy is 5 more years than males, particularly males that have abused their bodies as much as I have.

What is tuna melt?

A tuna melt is when you start off with tuna salad & cheese (any slice of cheese) between 2 slices of bread and grill it in a skillet of on a Panini grill. The outside is the color of toast, except that when you use a Panini grill, you get those luscious grill marks on it. Smear some butter on the bread for a golden tasty look! :wink:

Take a tuna melt a little further and make it a "Happy Waitress".

That would be white, wheat, or rye toast, (open face) with tuna salad, bacon, tomato slices, and melted cheese on top of the toast.

I
Take a tuna melt a little further and make it a "Happy Waitress".

That would be white, wheat, or rye toast, (open face) with tuna salad, bacon, tomato slices, and melted cheese on top of the toast.[/QUOTE
So that's like adding tuna and cheese to a BLT? I like the sound of that, but why does it make the waitress happy?

I
So that's like adding tuna and cheese to a BLT? I like the sound of that, but why does it make the waitress happy?

To me, fish and bacon do not mix. It reminds me of the bacon that we used to get somewhere that had the taste of fish. Fish scraps in the pig food maybe?

To me, fish and bacon do not mix. It reminds me of the bacon that we used to get somewhere that had the taste of fish. Fish scraps in the pig food maybe?
Generally I would agree. I avoided pork for years when pigs were mostly fed on fish meal, but I am guessing the tuna in this recipe is tinned so I think it would work.

On a similar note, one of my favourite things on toast is queen scallops cooked with lardons of streaky bacon.

Ah, but one must realise that generally female life expectancy is 5 more years than males, particularly males that have abused their bodies as much as I have.
You have no idea how much I have abused mine. I bet I could outdo you on that one!

@morning glory

I toast baguette halves in oven, and serve as we do here in Spain, with Evoo & fine sea salt, a very popular breakfast ..

Once in awhile, I do same with French butter ..

I do not use a toaster, as I do not use packaged bread and baguettes do not fit in a toaster ..

I also put tuna or shrimp salad or chicken salad occasionally in a toasted baguette ..

Back
Top Bottom