This air fryer could be junk!!

main-row-bg-m_pafo1.png

Here's a pic of it.

I can use my toaster oven for a dehydrator & air oven. :wink:

I can use my toaster oven for a dehydrator & air oven.

Really? How can you do that? De-hydrating is a long process (although for certain things it can be done in the microwave reasonably quickly). And the air oven is a device for cooking things like chips (fries) with very little oil. I wouldn't like to try cooking fries in my toaster!

I think @The Late Night Gourmet recently purchased an air fryer...

Really? How can you do that? De-hydrating is a long process (although for certain things it can be done in the microwave reasonably quickly). And the air oven is a device for cooking things like chips (fries) with very little oil. I wouldn't like to try cooking fries in my toaster!

I think @The Late Night Gourmet recently purchased an air fryer...

It has a dehydrator setting on it.

It's also a convection oven, which means that there's a fan in it that circulates the hot air. Most frozen foods can be reheated in the oven French fries #1 They are actually being air fried. When I bake chicken, I sometimes do it oven-fried using cornflake crumbs. It is called oven fried. I've been air frying foods long before these so-called air fryers have come on the market. :wink:

I don't understand how it works. Frying requires at least partial submersion in oil or fat. This device seems nothing more than a counter top convection oven. Clever marketing to re brand "roasting" as "air frying" in order to make it appear healthier and get you to part with cash.

We have an Actifry, which also purports to be an air fryer, but that has a rotating paddle that constantly turns over the food in a very small amount of oil. It gets used a lot because it's far easier than heating up the deep fat fryer and is very easy to clean. It is great for sausages and sweet potato fries, and only uses a couple of teaspoons of oil. It's no good for delicate items which are easily broken up by the paddle, and it can't compete with proper triple cooked chips or roast potatoes.

I already have a multi-cooker, which is also a deep fryer, slow cooker, boiler, steamer, roaster & such.
The terminology here is for them to try to include as many jobs as possible that the thing can do, saying that all those appliances that clutter up the kitchen, can all be replaced, with just one appliance that can do everything.

There goes your money! :headshake:

3bb0cc2fb613d51b7c4deda7e003327d.jpg

I'm happy with my air fryer. It's the way I like all my cooking appliances: simple and straight-forward. The two dials are for temperature and time. I like that I can set a timer, and then come back and now worry that my food is getting incinerated, since it shuts off when the timer goes off. This is the link to Amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Z9QBPM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It received a 4.5/5 stars from 170 customer reviews, so I figured I was getting something good. I don't trust late night TV ads (I've seen that guy on a number of infomercials).

I've made Turnip and Beet Fries (which were a qualified success) and an Air Fried Egg (which was a great success). So, I'm happy with it. And, @morning glory I've figured out how to keep the yolk from setting in the air fryer: freeze the egg! I'm sure not how the yolk will recover from freezing, but it's worth a try (at worse, I lose 1 egg and a few other ingredients).

Last edited:
And, @morning glory I've figured out how to keep the yolk from setting in the air fryer: freeze the egg! I'm sure not how the yolk will recover from freezing, but it's worth a try (at worse, I lose 1 egg and a few other ingredients).

Good idea. Its a similar concept to the recipe posted by @Herbie Egg 'bun' which I tried out (with mixed success) today.

My nephew has an airfryer and loves it. Says he uses it at least for one meal a day. He has a large family...5 kids...so whatever model they have i remember him saying he got the largest he could find.

Back
Top Bottom