This is a great forum - how can we spread the word and get others involved?

ChowDownBob

Supersize Me!
Local time
4:57 PM
I really like how this place works and it's a real shame there aren't more folks chatting on here. Is there anything we can do to make it busier like some of the older cooking forums? How could we get more people involved?

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas?

I really like how this place works and it's a real shame there aren't more folks chatting on here. Is there anything we can do to make it busier like some of the older cooking forums? How could we get more people involved?

Well if you had another half dozen accounts you'd have less to say. And end up talking with yourself!!

Any odd foods you've eaten/cooked? Odd maybe because its regional.

Sometimes I think that that the fact that there aren't too many active members makes it a nice place. We sort of get to know each other more. We do get quite a few new members but they often post once or twice and then disappear. I do wonder about it, but I tend to think that the popularity of internet forums (fora!) might be waining. Everyone tweets and instagrams, Pins it and posts recipes on websites like Yummly or AllRecipesUK or the like. Or they have their own blog.

On the other hand, CycleChat, one of our sister groups (click on Cycling at the foot of the screen) has a lot more traffic than we have here. If I check now, 592 people have visited CycleChat today. Only 11 have visited here. Now, I would have thought that interest in food was every bit as popular as cycling! The majority of active members on CycleChat seem to be UK based. Here on CookingBites there are probably more non UK members.

We can draw attention to the forum by recommending on Facebook, Pinning etc. You can click on the number at the bottom right of a post (between Top and Like). It will give you a series of options.

In a nutshell, Other than the above, I don't know what we can do to get the site coming up on Google searches more often and/or retaining the new members. But I'm willing to join in any campaign!

Do our moderators, @SatNavSaysStraightOn and @Shaun have any thoughts?

Social media is a good starting point. If you have a Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest account then please do give CookingBites a mention. Maybe pick an interesting discussion thread or recipe and link back to it or invite others to join in.

If you have a blog or other website where you can put a link back to here, that would be helpful too. The more people become aware of it, the better chance we have of getting interested new members.

Less obviously, coming here regularly to chat and start new threads is a great help, since activity promotes more activity and the more new posts there are to read, the more often people will return, and the more often they'll join in.

Also, you may have friends on other forums who might like another forum to chat on. Tell them about CookingBites too; but please don't spam other forums or solicit the whole membership, that's not good netiquette. I wouldn't want us to get a bad reputation. We must respect other communities as we build ours.

For my part I'll continue to push forum content out to our Facebook and Twitter pages - see yesterday's mention of the recipe challenge. :okay:

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Social media is a good starting point. If you have a Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest account then please do give CookingBites a mention. Maybe pick an interesting discussion thread or recipe and link back to it or invite others to join in.

If you have a blog or other website where you can put a link back to here, that would be helpful too. The more people become aware of it, the better chance we have of getting interested new members.

Less obviously, coming here regularly to chat and start new threads is a great help, since activity promotes more activity and the more new posts there are to read, the more often people will return, and the more often they'll join in.

Also, you may have friends on other forums who might like another forum to chat on. Tell them about CookingBites too; but please don't spam other forums or solicit the whole membership, that's not good netiquette. I wouldn't want us to get a bad reputation. We must respect other communities as we build ours.

For my part I'll continue to push forum content out to our Facebook and Twitter pages - see yesterday's mention of the recipe challenge. :okay:

Cheers,
Shaun :D
I didn't know we had a Facebook and Twitter page! I will link to my FB page. Thanks for using my photo - it wasn't actually the winning dish but its probably more eye catching than the tomato tart!

Enter the The CookingBites Recipe Challenge @ChowDownBob ! The title post hasn't yet been updated but the current ingredient is BEANS! Send in a bean recipe. The more the merrier. :D

I didn't know we had a Facebook and Twitter page! I will link to my FB page. Thanks for using my photo - it wasn't actually the winning dish but its probably more eye catching than the tomato tart!
You've not seen the links at the bottom then.

I don't really get the whole facebook thing and don't really use all those apps the kids are into. I like plain old fashioned talking/writing. I don't have a big circle of people I can "spread the word" to either really. I suppose I just need to keep talking and hope other people find it. :happy:

I'm stupid... yes, I'm stupid.:meh:
Miss Intelligent, I just checked out Twitter and your dish with the quail eggs is beautiful. I tried to retweet. This social media thing is a learning process for me.I pinned the same recipe or picture on my Pinterest board.

I don't really get the whole facebook thing and don't really use all those apps the kids are into. I like plain old fashioned talking/writing. I don't have a big circle of people I can "spread the word" to either really. I suppose I just need to keep talking and hope other people find it. :happy:
Try them all out and it will get easier with time. I even joined Instagram and I have one following and it's my store.

Miss Intelligent, I just checked out Twitter and your dish with the quail eggs is beautiful. I tried to retweet. This social media thing is a learning process for me.I pinned the same recipe or picture on my Pinterest board.

Try them all out and it will get easier with time. I even joined Instagram and I have one following and it's my store.
I'm going to have to get a smart phone. I've been putting it off. My phone is deeply embarrassing:

Photo on 15-06-2016 at 16.58 #3.jpg

I'm going to have to get a smart phone. I've been putting it off. My phone is deeply embarrassing:

View attachment 2821
I finally took the plunge 2 years ago and got a smartphone after my even older Nokia 3300 (?) got left on a train by my husband who was using it for work. He left his suit jacket on the train as well. Neither ever turned up and in the end we got the sim card disconnected after repeatedly ringing the phone from the home landline which would have said 'home' on it... It was a great little phone but getting a new phone have us the opportunity to get his credit rating going again after nearly a decade of paying for everything and staying in the black. We didn't need the phone on credit and could easily have paid cash for it but ironically you need to be in debt to have a good credit rating because you have to use credit to earn your credit rating.... :scratchhead: go figure!

View attachment 2823
Yours wouldn't get to the top row of keys.
I don't get it. Is this your phone @classic33? @morning glory I fear what's going to happen when you get a smart phone. You are going to take over the world. I guess that doesn't have to be a fearful thing. I do have a smart phone but do feel dumb when I don't know how to take advantage of the features. If for no other reason than to help me out get a phone. I feel sure you'd learn to maximize it's features and teach me a thing or two.

I don't get it. Is this your phone @classic33? @morning glory I fear what's going to happen when you get a smart phone. You are going to take over the world. I guess that doesn't have to be a fearful thing. I do have a smart phone but do feel dumb when I don't know how to take advantage of the features. If for no other reason than to help me out get a phone. I feel sure you'd learn to maximize it's features and teach me a thing or two.
Only had it 16 years. One or two features you'll not find on a "smartphone".
Dial in, won't ring, it'll answer itself.

Back
Top Bottom