Recipe Three Cheese Fondue

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
8:17 AM
Love this fondue. I prepared for a baby shower - as soon as I put it out it disappeared!
Dense breads cut into cubes are great dippers. Sis did the bread part - Sourdough, French Bread and I think Italian bread. Instead of fooling with fondue forks I put out short wood skewers. Worked great.

Three Cheese Fondue

1 Cup white wine
1 TBSP. all purpose flour
! TBSP. butter
7 oz. Gruyere - shredded
7 oz. Sharp Cheddar - shredded (I used a sharp, white cheddar)
7 oz. Emmental - shredded (if Emmental is not available look for a hard Swiss)

Method

In a small sauce pan bring wine to a boil
In a medium sauce pan over medium low heat melt butter. Add flour. Cook 5 minutes whisking constantly - do not brown.
Add wine in a slow stream whisking to smooth.
Add cheese a little at a time until all are incorporated.
Transfer to a fondue pot set on a very low flame.

Enjoy

In the Alpine región of France on the eastern border of Switzerland, it is common to prepare a 7 Cheese Fondue as a 1st course on New Year´s Eve. The main is Filet Mignon Fondue and the dessert, Black or Milk Chocolate Fondue and it is served with fondue skewers of fresh fruit & a home made sponge or bizcocho which is prepared with almond flour ..

Your récipe is exceptional.

The main difference with our family récipe is we employ: Alsace French Kirsch, Transparent Cherry Brandy instead of White wine and the cheeses we use are: 1) Swiss Gruyère, 2) Beaufort, 3) Comté, 4) French Emmenthal, 5) French Raclette, 6) Swiss Appenzeller, 67) Swiss Emmentaler and sometimes we sub French Roblcher ( all cow varieties ) ..

Last edited:
@Francesca
You are fortunate to access to such beautiful, high quality cheese. The quality of the cheese does make a difference. I have made cheese fondue with multiple cheeses. I like this combination. The flavors compliment each other and retain their individuality.

I am also kind of geek for retro food.

That looks like a really good recipe. We'll have to try it soon. I've been wanting a fondue meal or to try bagna cauda, but Craig doesn't seem real interested in the bagna cauda.

Do you guys have Melting Pot restaurants? We ate at one for the first time a couple of years ago. I loved it, had never had fondue before. Every course is a fondue except for salad. We took our oldest GD to eat there when she was visiting us once. That child, she was either 12 or 13, can't remember exactly which visit it was, ate more than Craig and I put together I think. She has become quite an adventurous eater, unlike her younger sister who would rather go without than eat something she doesn't want (her mother is at wit's end, now 11 and will hardly eat anything, figured she'd grow out of it like her older sister did, she hasn't).

After our first visit to the MP, I started looking at fondue ware. Ended up getting a pot similar to the ones the MPs use, except they have inserts so you can just buy one pot and 2 or 3 inserts (pots aren't cheap to say the least) and change out quickly. Also got an induction burner so we wouldn't have to mess with the stovetop. Even found plates very, very similar to the MP with all the little dividers for different sauces and big dividers for raw versus cooked foods.

Sounds like fun. I know there is one in Baton Rouge. I have not checked lately to see if there one in Lafayette. There are new restaurants opening every week. Need to check. If there is one that will be our net date night.

@Francesca
You are fortunate to access to such beautiful, high quality cheese. The quality of the cheese does make a difference. I have made cheese fondue with multiple cheeses. I like this combination. The flavors compliment each other and retain their individuality.

I am also kind of geek for retro food.

@ElizabethB

The Savoie región of France Alpine is a sanctuary of Green grazing lands .. Unfortunately, cow cheeses in Spain are quite limited as our climate is quite dry. Asturias, Cantabria, The Basque Country, Navarre, Gerona, Lerida and Galicia are the northern provinces where rainfall is usually plentiful henceforth providing these autonomous regions with Green pasture grazing lands for dairy cows ..

Further south are sheep and goat cheeses where the land is quite sparse, arid, and hilly or mountainous ..

My mom in law is French and travels to southern France quite often to visit clients and some family there .. So, she sources her cheeses, wines amongst other products there ..

Have a lovely holiday ..

7 oz. Gruyere - shredded
7 oz. Sharp Cheddar - shredded (I used a sharp, white cheddar)
7 oz. Emmental - shredded (if Emmental is not available look for a hard Swiss)
I love how these three go together: Gruyere and Emmental have a nutty characteristic, and I'm guessing that the tang of the cheddar in the midst of that gives it almost a gorgonzola-like quality, but creamier. Well...there's only one way to know for sure! (updates shopping list)

Back
Top Bottom