Tilapia - native carp

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
9:26 AM
Tilapia or native carp is plentiful in the wet market. We usually buy a filet tilapia for frying. Would you believe that we feed our dogs with fried tilapia and sometimes boiled tilapia? It is a fresh water fish that easily thrives almost anywhere as long as there is feed - leftover bread is the usual although mashed feed is preferred. But the best tilapia dish is broiled when wrapped in foil.

Tilapia is pretty popular where I live - we have it relatively regularly and I like it baked with just some lemon juice and herbs. Simple flavors but the taste is lovely when it's baked.
It's not my favorite fish overall, but it's up there - and it's a lot cheaper than some others, so that's a positive as well.

I also bake mine with lemon juice and herbs. It is one of the cheapest fish to buy around here so
it is pretty popular. I do like it every now and then but I really am not the much of a fish eater. When
I do eat fish I usually have fresh salmon! That is my favorite fish.

Tilapia or native carp is plentiful in the wet market. We usually buy a filet tilapia for frying. Would you believe that we feed our dogs with fried tilapia and sometimes boiled tilapia? It is a fresh water fish that easily thrives almost anywhere as long as there is feed - leftover bread is the usual although mashed feed is preferred. But the best tilapia dish is broiled when wrapped in foil.

Well, this is not necessarily a popular fish in my island but it has become very popular in my home. I don't know I like to be reminded that it's a fresh water fish that will thrive anywhere, because my stomach has a way of rebelling when I know too many details:D. Anyway, I bake it, oven fry it, fry it normally, pan sear it and pretty much overdo when I have it. The bottom line is that it so quick and easy, I disregard the fact that I read that it has more calories than we would think.

Well, this is not necessarily a popular fish in my island but it has become very popular in my home. I don't know I like to be reminded that it's a fresh water fish that will thrive anywhere, because my stomach has a way of rebelling when I know too many details:D. Anyway, I bake it, oven fry it, fry it normally, pan sear it and pretty much overdo when I have it. The bottom line is that it so quick and easy, I disregard the fact that I read that it has more calories than we would think.

Our best bet in tilapia is the broiled. After slicing or even the filet, we add sliced tomatoes and onions plus a sprinkling of salt to taste. After carefully wrapping in foil, broil in charcoal for 10 minutes per side. Harvest from the griller and let it simmer on the table for 15 minutes before eating. It is best served with steamed rice. By the way, the best dip is fish sauce with lemon drops but for the Americans, I would suggest a butter lemon dip that would give a semblance of class to the food.

Can you use dry rub on the tilapia fish? I think that may add some nice flavor to it before you fry or grill them. A very simple way to make your own is sprinkle them with a generous amount of salt, pepper and sugar. Let the dry ingredients set in for a few minutes and your are good.

Our best bet in tilapia is the broiled. After slicing or even the filet, we add sliced tomatoes and onions plus a sprinkling of salt to taste. After carefully wrapping in foil, broil in charcoal for 10 minutes per side. Harvest from the griller and let it simmer on the table for 15 minutes before eating. It is best served with steamed rice. By the way, the best dip is fish sauce with lemon drops but for the Americans, I would suggest a butter lemon dip that would give a semblance of class to the food.
Sounds good Corzhens and Tilapia is so very quick to prepare, In the beginning I used to love to stick it in the oven with salt and pepper, lots of garlic, thyme butter and lime. It would sprinkle with dry parsley most times or if I got tired of that colour I would finish with paprika. Then I started trying different things as it's such an easy fish to work with.

Back
Top Bottom