Tinned fish

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
5:33 PM
As @morning glory said, tinned fish/seafood is cheap and nutritious. She made this fabulous looking dish of sardines in filo pastry:
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/sardine-filo-parcels-with-pickled-lemon.13486/#post-130229

I do a lot with tinned fish when I am travelling. We have

Spiced Fishcakes - Based on a Mridula Baljekar recipe
Fishcakes - based on my grandma's recipe!
Sardine Satkora - Based on a dish I had at a local Indian restaurant in London. I'll recreate this and post.
Rougaille - Can be made with fresh or tinned fish. Or omelette.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/rougaille-mauritian-tomato-based-dish.10736/
Sardines on toast! I add slices of onion, tomato and some chilli! Delicious, simple, cheap treat.

The only tinned fish we cook with is anchovy. When I was younger I ate quite a bit of tinned/jarred fish, but never cooked with them. I love Yellowfin tuna in olive oil, but was scared for life against tuna casserole from my mother and fathers attempts at making it and having it almost every week, sometimes twice a week.

I know a lot of people don't like tinned tuna. But it makes a good chilli! I used to use it a lot when I was a student. Either chilli or tuna pasta. It's relatively a lot more expensive now though.
Spaghetti Puttanesca :)

Portuguese tinned tuna is so good.

I know a lot of people don't like tinned tuna. But it makes a good chilli! I used to use it a lot when I was a student. Either chilli or tuna pasta. It's relatively a lot more expensive now though.
Spaghetti Puttanesca :)

Portuguese tinned tuna is so good.

Haven't had any Portuguese, but I only buy Yellowfin packed in olive oil from Spain or Italy. Yes I am a snob!

Tuna, salmon, crab, shrimp. Tuna is my usual go to for making sandwiches, salads Etc. During the summer, I enjoy tuna in a salad nicoise with haricot vertes, potatoes, hard cooked eggs, red onion, and cherry tomatoes. In sandwiches, I like tuna melts served open-faced with provolone cheese, or pan bagnat . Tuna or salmon cakes are an easy go to as well. Back in the day, salmon and tuna croquettes with a white sauce were very popular.

Tinned shrimps (prawns in UK). I've never seen them in the UK although they may be available. Are they in brine?

I agree regarding Niçoise - I love it!

I haven't bought tinned shrimp in years. As I recall they are very tiny, Bay shrimp perhaps? Don't recall what liquid They are packed in.

Clams and oysters are also available in tins.

Tuna is also sold in pouches now, along with chicken.

I also like tuna pasta salad with peas. Comfort food.

I change up my nicoise salad from time to time, adding artichoke hearts or hearts of palm, or chilled cooked asparagus instead of haricot vertes.Depends on what I have on hand.

Last edited:
Herrings in tomato sauce in a tin as kids. I loved them with a salad. Havnt seen these in years. Salmon in a tin on toast is yummy here and popular. Fresh for everything else.

Russ

I eat tinned fish about once a week. Mostly tuna, mixed with minced celery and onion and mayo.

But I LOVE mackerel in various oils (soy, olive, and others), and herring in the same.

A great breakfast for me is a tin of oily fish, a fresh, hot crusty roll, and orange juice on the rocks (vodka optional).
The juice cuts through the fatty richness, and the bread, while adding texture and another fkavor dimension, also cleanses the palate of oil.

I have been watching way too many TV shows about food. :typing:

I use a lot of tinned fish but I cannot abide the smell of tuna so never use it. Since I am a lazy old bird I seldom do anything to the fish other than put it on a slice of toast. My favourite seafood at home is Potted Shrimp though I do, sometimes, bother to make these when Ocado can get the brown shrimps. I like cod roe too and fish eggs ( pretend Caviar).

When times were quite hard I used to buy tinned mackerel in a sauce (usually either tomato or mustard). I'd open it at lunchtime and share it with my cat. She got most of the fish and a bit of sauce - I'd eat a bit of fish and a lot of sauce with my home-made bread. It made a yummy sammy.

I use a lot of tinned fish but I cannot abide the smell of tuna so never use it. Since I am a lazy old bird I seldom do anything to the fish other than put it on a slice of toast. My favourite seafood at home is Potted Shrimp though I do, sometimes, bother to make these when Ocado can get the brown shrimps. I like cod roe too and fish eggs ( pretend Caviar).

Potted shrimps are a true delicacy and I adore them. As you say, its not always possible to get the brown shrimps...

Tinned fish is quite popular here. The is the tinned fish aisle in one of our supermakets.

Canned fish aisle.jpg

Back
Top Bottom