Tips and tricks

Kake Lover

Veteran
Local time
10:38 AM
I expect everyone has lots of helpful tips and tips and tricks related to cooking.
Would everyone like a thread that anyone can add to?

So my first tip is to double sift flour when you want to incorporate as much air as possible in a cake.
I sift the flour into the bowl on the scales then I sift it again as I add it to the mixture.

Here is my tip for poaching eggs. Bring the water to a simmer and put the eggs in their shell in for 30 seconds. Remove and crack the eggs (individually) into a small bowl. Then poach as normal. The pre-cook ensures that there will be no spreading egg white.

After cutting something such as an onion into slices, cut the slices into tiny pieces by repeatedly mashing down on the handle of a sharp knife, working your way around in a circular motion without lifting the knife for effective dicing.

Should anyone find themselves in a situation of wondering if eggs are fresh, there is a simple test. Put them in a bowl or bucket of water. This is known to old VSO volunteers like me as the sink-or-stink test. If they sink, they are okay. If they float, remove them from the premises and take whatever action you wish. Personally, I found hurling rotten eggs at Indian House Crows very therapeutic.

I could also provide instructions on how to make photocopies using a tray of jelly. But I'm not convinced this is adding value to the debate.

The jelly-photocopier incident happened at a VSO training course. It was more as a piece of fun rather than having genuine practical use. What you do is get your tray of jelly (using a long and flat utensil), write something with a marker pen on a sheet of paper and then depress the sheet into the jelly to leave an imprint. You should then be able to make a small number of copies using the jelly.

Strange things can happen on these courses. I once did a computer maintenance course on which a dozen of us (some nursing vigorous hangovers) were required to dismantle a desktop PC each and then put it back together. I swear that by the end of proceedings, we had enough spare parts to assemble another computer. The remarkable thing was that all the PCs seemed to work after we'd finished.

How do you know if eggs are raw or hard boiled?

Put them on a table and spin them with your fingers. If they revolve perfectly they are hard boiled. If they wobble they are raw

Back
Top Bottom