Today’s Bread (2023-2024)

Ok, I made two loaves, obviously, so I’ve agreed to sacrifice one a little early to see how it is.

First, though, I must say, I messed this up at three points, which I mainly attribute to a huge peeve of mine - video recipe not matching the printed recipe, and trying to find the middle ground between the two.

On to the bread:

IMG_5095.jpeg

That’s meant to be ciabatta (my first attempt), but I think I’m on the way to a good baguette! :laugh:

First misstep: the video said to proof the bread on a heavy layer of flour right on the board, the printed recipe said to do it on parchment - I chose the former and that was a bad idea.

It’s a very wet dough, and it sort of absorbed all the (substantial amount) of flour that was on the board and wanted to stick a bit, so when I went to do the funky harder-than-it-looks method to transfer the dough to the peel, the dough pretty much deflated. That was the main issue, and easy to do with a wet, fragile dough.

Second, the recipe called for heating the oven to one temp, then cutting it back to a lower temp, which of course I forgot to do until halfway through baking. I hate when recipes do that, because I always, always forget it.

Last, it could have gone longer in the oven, but I was fairly upset with the first two issues, so I just baked it for the minimum time and that was that. I should have let it go about five minutes longer.

That said…I have to admit, it rose better than I expected (especially the second loaf, which I’ll post later), and the crust is excellent - MrsT heard me cutting into it from the other room, and while the crumb isn’t as open as it could be, it’s still not bad. The flavor is very good, too - it’s just the rise isn’t great.

I just have to work out that transfer method. I think what I’ll do next time is proof it on the parchment on the peel, then just sort of roll it up on itself, eliminating the need to actually pick it up and move it - that’s where it went wrong.

Looks good. Nice crumb. To me, the key to good bread is the right amount of salt. Too much and it's way too salty, not enough and it has no flavor.

Looks good. Nice crumb. To me, the key to good bread is the right amount of salt. Too much and it's way too salty, not enough and it has no flavor.
Thanks. The taste is spot-on, I must say, just the rise is off a bit.

This is what KA has posted at their site for this recipe:
IMG_5096.jpeg

Mine’s not too far off that, but if you watch the video for it, his crumb is twice as open in places.

That said…I have to admit, it rose better than I expected (especially the second loaf, which I’ll post later), and the crust is excellent - MrsT heard me cutting into it from the other room, and while the crumb isn’t as open as it could be, it’s still not bad. The flavor is very good, too - it’s just the rise isn’t great.

It looks great to me! I can't see much difference to the recipe photo

It looks great to me! I can't see much difference to the recipe photo
Here’s a screen grab from KA’s video (that deviates a bit from the referenced printed recipe 😒 ):

IMG_5102.jpeg

You can see where mine falls a little short. Had mine not lost all its gas on the transfer to the peel, it would have looked a lot more like that.

My second loaf (the better of the two):
IMG_5099.jpeg

Here’s a screen grab from KA’s video (that deviates a bit from the referenced printed recipe 😒 ):

View attachment 102583

You can see where mine falls a little short. Had mine not lost all its gas on the transfer to the peel, it would have looked a lot more like that.

My second loaf (the better of the two):
View attachment 102584
Honestly I think I prefer the look of yours. It looks like it will taste like bread KAs looks like it will taste mostly of air!

The second loaf is on the money. Good job. Ciabatta is the standard bread at our house so I'm a big fan of it.

In the annals of misheard song lyrics, “Bad Moon on the Rise” ranks up near the top of the list.

After extensive research on my part, I’ve determined that the entire song as presented on record has been completely fuddled up, so I now present to you the actual lyrics as first mumble-screamed by John “Flour Sack” Fogerty and the Baker’s Dozen:

I see the biga a-bubblin’
The smell of yeast is in the air
The oven soon will be pre-heatin’
Flour’s dusted everywhere

If you come ‘round today
A warm loaf will come your way
There’s some bread dough on the rise!

View attachment 102560
Biga doing its thing
We used to be regulars at a bar near here that did karaoke with a live band - you could sing or play an instrument. One person played bass, and I think she only knew one song - “Bad Moon on the Rise”. She would play it with the band every week.

Many times, the singer would actually sing the final chorus as “There’s a bathroom on the right”, just to see if anyone noticed.

Back
Top Bottom