Recipe Tofu, Aubergine and Beluga Lentils with Pomegranate Molasses

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:23 AM
What to do with the other half of the packet of those gorgeous Beluga lentils? That was my quest today. Here is what I did. Its sweet and sour with a little bit of heat from the chilli. Lets make tofu seductive, I thought (realising that this might be a contradiction in terms). This recipe serves 2.

IMGP0266.jpg

Photographed today in natural light.

Ingredients
300g firm tofu
1 aubergine (eggplant)
1/2 large onion chopped.
125g Cooked Beluga lentils (1/2 Merchant Gourmet pack)
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp pomegranate molasses*
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp of 5 spice powder
1 tsp hot chilli powder
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 or 3 whole red and green Bird's Eye chillies (optional)
3 tbsp vegetable oil
Shredded mint leaves to serve (optional)

Method
  • Heat the oven to 180C.
  • Chop the aubergine into small chunks and place on a non-stick oven tray. Drizzle over 1 Tbsp oil and toss the aubergine until coated.
  • Bake aubergine in the oven for 20-25 mins until softened and slightly crispy.
  • Drain the tofu (it usually comes in a pack with liquid) and press with paper kitchen towels until as dry as possible. Cut into chunks.
  • Fry the tofu pieces in gently, turning as required in 1 tbsp oil until slightly golden on all sides.
  • Put the pomegranate molasses, soy sauce and chilli powder into a bowl and mix. Add the tofu pieces and turn them in the marinade. Leave to soak while you prepare the sauce.
  • Gently fry the chopped onion in 1 tbsp of oil until it is softened.Add the spices and fry gently for a few minutes adding a little water if necessary. .
  • Add the tinned tomatoes and the whole chillies (if using). Cook for ten minutes on a medium heat to reduce and thicken the sauce. Check for seasoning and add salt if required
  • Add the aubergine, tofu (with the marinade) and cooked Beluga lentils and heat everything through.
  • Shred the mint leaves to garnish. You could sprinkle pomegranate seeds over the top which would look pretty.
Serve with boiled rice.

* If you can't get Pomegranate molasses substitute juice of a half a lime or lemon and 2 tsp of honey, maple syrup or agave syrup. You are trying to achieve a sweet/sour taste.

IMGP0267.jpg

Tofu is one of those things that I always see here at the supermarket and I never really know what I'd do with it. Hubby likes it in a dish called mabo tofu which I think is Chinese in origin, but I haven't explored it much at all outside of that. This looks great though and just today at the supermarket I saw a bunch of Japanese eggplants and was thinking I should have picked some up. I didn't, but may have to go back tomorrow now to get some!

My Chindian opposite number in our joint venture partnership in Kuala Lumpur introduced me to tofu. He also introduced me to chrysanthemum soup. Although he's still a very good friend, I have not forgiven him.

What to do with the other half of the packet of those gorgeous Beluga lentils? That was my quest today. Here is what I did. Its sweet and sour with a little bit of heat from the chilli. Lets make tofu seductive, I thought (realising that this might be a contradiction in terms). This recipe serves 2.

View attachment 2515
Photographed today in natural light.

Ingredients
300g firm tofu
1 aubergine (eggplant)
1/2 large onion chopped.
125g Cooked Beluga lentils (1/2 Merchant Gourmet pack)
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp pomegranate molasses*
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp of 5 spice powder
1 tsp hot chilli powder
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 or 3 whole red and green Bird's Eye chillies (optional)
3 tbsp vegetable oil
Shredded mint leaves to serve (optional)

Method
  • Heat the oven to 180C.
  • Chop the aubergine into small chunks and place on a non-stick oven tray. Drizzle over 1 Tbsp oil and toss the aubergine until coated.
  • Bake aubergine in the oven for 20-25 mins until softened and slightly crispy.
  • Drain the tofu (it usually comes in a pack with liquid) and press with paper kitchen towels until as dry as possible. Cut into chunks.
  • Fry the tofu pieces in gently, turning as required in 1 tbsp oil until slightly golden on all sides.
  • Put the pomegranate molasses, soy sauce and chilli powder into a bowl and mix. Add the tofu pieces and turn them in the marinade. Leave to soak while you prepare the sauce.
  • Gently fry the chopped onion in 1 tbsp of oil until it is softened.Add the spices and fry gently for a few minutes adding a little water if necessary. .
  • Add the tinned tomatoes and the whole chillies (if using). Cook for ten minutes on a medium heat to reduce and thicken the sauce. Check for seasoning and add salt if required
  • Add the aubergine, tofu (with the marinade) and cooked Beluga lentils and heat everything through.
  • Shred the mint leaves to garnish. You could sprinkle pomegranate seeds over the top which would look pretty.
Serve with boiled rice.

* If you can't get Pomegranate molasses substitute juice of a half a lime or lemon and 2 tsp of honey, maple syrup or agave syrup. You are trying to achieve a sweet/sour taste.

View attachment 2518

Back
Top Bottom