Recipe Tom Yam Khung Gai

Understood, thanks.

Umm, oonderstood. Fanks. :)

This reminds me of an argument I heard once about the spelling of Hannukah. One group said it is spelled with a C (Channukah), the other without.

I chimed in that either spelling is correct since it was originally written in Hebrew. It depends on how good your accent is.
I have heard one is for Orthodox and Hassidic Jews and the other for the rest of the Jews.
If I remember correctly, the H is for the Orthodox.
Or should I say that was the answer I got from 2 Jews that were in an argument over gifts during that season.

When I was in Phuket Island, Thailand, we had our´s served in a Copper vessel. The shape was that of a "colander" ( oval ) with 2 handles, 1 on each side, however, all solid copper.

Copper is a heat conductor ..

And used frequently in traditional northern French ( Normandy, Brittany and in and around Paris ) and Galician ( northwest Spain on the Atlantic Coastline, north of Portugal) cuisines.

Thank you very much for posting the recipe. It is exceptionally extraordinary. Truly sensational art of plating too.

Three Thai chili peppers, sliced open to unleash their full venom...that packs a punch, doesn't it? When it comes to Thai food, though, I totally agree that it's necessary to bring on the heat. This looks terrific. I'll have to make this sometime soon. But, unfortunately, the picture that was supposed to be in your third post (showing the lit candle) doesn't display anymore.

I can still see the picture.

The three Thai chili peppers are purely for decoration it's the 10 prik kee noo (chili paddy, birds eye) that give the heat. They could be 2 - 5 times hotter than normal Thai chilis. Even some Thais leave them at the side of their plate.

@Yorky

The recipe I was given by a dear Chef friend in Phuket is basically the same, except we use only shellfish and squid .. No chicken .. And you use a tomato base and he does not .. Nor do I ..

Beautiful photogrraphs ..

Thanks for posting ..

What sort of difference would there be if I used the seeds instead? I went to a massive Asian market, and they had everything else, but not that.

If we buy coriander leaf they come with the roots still attached (whether from the market or the supermarket). I'm not sure about substituting with seed - I'd just leave the roots out.

corianderleaf.jpg

Last edited:
If we buy coriander leaf they come with the roots still attached (whether from the market or the supermarket). I'm not sure about substituting with seed - I'd just leave the roots out.

I agree. The roots have a similar taste to the fresh leaves but a bit earthier. Not the same as the seeds.

Thanks...I knew that different parts of the same plant don't always taste the same (coriander seeds, leaves, and root might as well be three separate things considering how different their uses are). I would use this sort of situation as a topic starter right now if I weren't so busy formulating an answer in the Pepper Challenge, but I have a lot of work to do as a judge first!

IMG_0891.JPG

Here is my interpretation of this astonishing recipe. Despite the fact that the recipe was provided by someone I considered an expert, and despite the fact that I've never made this recipe before, I made a few adjustments:
  • More chicken and shrimp (about a pound of each)
  • Twice as much enoki mushroom (which I assume is the same as straw mushrooms specified in the recipe)
  • I made the stock from prawn shells, carrots, onion, galangal root, rosemary, and cabbage. It was red cabbage, which made for a purple stock, but that color faded as all the other ingredients were added. I forgot to add peppers to the stock, so I made up for it with chopped peppers later in the recipe.
  • Lacking coriander root, I didn't to replace it with something else.
I assume the idea is to leave the lime leaves and galangal root in and work around it as you go. My first instinct was to pick them out, but I left them in.

I think my adjustments still kept the spirit of the recipe. Truly excellent flavor. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
I assume the idea is to leave the lime leaves and galangal root in and work around it as you go. My first instinct was to pick them out, but I left them in.

Yes, they are "worked around" as are the lemon grass stalks. Also many Westerners tend to work around the prik kee noo.

With reference to the mushrooms, we've used button mushrooms, king oysters, shiitakes and the big flat rubbery Chinese mushrooms, depending upon which are available.

These are what we call "straw mushrooms":

straw mushrooms.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom