Recipe Tom Yam Khung Gai

These are the shiitakes which we sometimes use:

shitakes-s.jpg

And I believe these were the straw mushrooms which went into the tom yam in the original post:

straw mushrooms 1 s.jpg

I have been considering a beef one. I could use apple cider?
You could. I have seen that suggested somewhere. Can you get beef stock or a good beef stock cube? Also you might consider brandy (a splash). I added that to mine (I'll post up today) and it does add a great flavour.

You could. I have seen that suggested somewhere. Can you get beef stock or a good beef stock cube? Also you might consider brandy (a splash). I added that to mine (I'll post up today) and it does add a great flavour.

I have OXO beef and OXO chicken cubes (imported) and also Knorr cubes (local). Also Bisto gravy granules. Local cooking brandy is available.

I think OXO beef would be fine. :D:okay:

A friend of mine's wife started a pie making business in Chonburi a few years ago and they bought a lot of OXO cubes. Unfortunately, the business was not successful given the 50 other pie makers in Chonburi province, and he mailed me his surplus cubes (about 3 dozen).

fresh-enoki-mushrooms_FreshEnokiMushrooms-1.jpg

Here are enoki mushrooms (you can see why I thought these might have been what you meant by straw mushrooms). They have a wonderful flavor, and as you can imagine, they're thin enough that they take the place of noodles in a dish. You cut off the roots first, then break them apart before adding them.

Here are enoki mushrooms (you can see why I thought these might have been what you meant by straw mushrooms). They have a wonderful flavor, and as you can imagine, they're thin enough that they take the place of noodles in a dish. You cut off the roots first, then break them apart before adding them.

Yes, they are quite prevalent hereabouts. My wife uses them for some of her concoctions when "in season".

The spelling difference is interesting. I've always seen it as yum, but you guys call it yam.

Of course it's not natively written in English, but I wonder if there are any differences besides the spelling.
In Tom's defense, it does get written as Tom Yum in Thai restaurants over here. I've checked several restaurant menus, and the spelling is consistent. I'm guessing it's not a coincidence that "yum" is a word people say over here when something's tasty.

On a side note, I've always been repelled by the name Yum Yum Sauce. This is what they call sauce that's served in Japanese steakhouses over here. I highly doubt that the name is a direct translation of anything Japanese. What am I, 5 years old? It may very well be "the best sauce ever" as the slogan on the bottle below proclaims, but I'm never going to try it because the name is stupid.

maxresdefault.jpg

In Tom's defense, it does get written as Tom Yum in Thai restaurants over here. I've checked several restaurant menus, and the spelling is consistent. I'm guessing it's not a coincidence that "yum" is a word people say over here when something's tasty.

On a side note, I've always been repelled by the name Yum Yum Sauce. This is what they call sauce that's served in Japanese steakhouses over here. I highly doubt that the name is a direct translation of anything Japanese. What am I, 5 years old? It may very well be "the best sauce ever" as the slogan on the bottle below proclaims, but I'm never going to try it because the name is stupid.

Look what you're missing!

712s-cRoTzL._SX522_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom