Recipe Tomatilla Salsa

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
5:37 PM
I love Salsa Verde and serve this with https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/smoke-cured-pork-sausage-and-gruyere-cheese-strata.11024/

1 1/2 lbs. Tomatillos - husked and rinsed
3 garlic cloves
1/2 bunch fresh Cilantro
1 Serrano Chili Pepper
2 limes juiced
Sea salt & fresh ground pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season generously with salt.
Boil Tomatillos until just soft - 7 to 8 minutes
Drain and cool in an ice bath

Add Tomatillos, garlic, cilantro and Serrano chili to a blender. Add a generous pinch of salt.
Blend until almost smooth - leave a bit of texture. Add lime juice and adjust seasoning.

Last edited:
Tomatillos are not really available here and I've never tasted them. :( I can obtain them on-line tinned and rather expensive. Do they taste very different from tomatoes?

@morning glory

Fresh tomatillos are firmer, have less water and are tarter than tomatoes. Both belong to the nightshade family - distantly related. At the end of the summer growing season I had green tomatoes. I fried some and used the rest to make Salsa Verde - very nice.

If you can get your hands on green tomatoes use that. Green tomatoes are tarter than ripe tomatoes, have less water and make an acceptable substitute for tomatillos.

There is an heirloom variety of tomatoes called Green Zebra - on the small side (golf ball to tennis ball size), green with yellow or cream striations, firm and tart. Another option.

IDK about paying a premium for canned tomatillos. You will pay top dollar and the canned fruit will not have the same texture as fresh.

@ElizabethB, we both love salsa in this house but as @morning glory says we can't get tomatillos here. I usually use tomatoes in salsa. I have a recipe using tart cooking apples which I don't think exist outside the UK but I'm thinking it might get the tart taste needed.

My salsa ingredients are basically the same as yours except I add an onion (or a few shallots) and use fresh, uncooked tomatoes. Oh, and lots more chilis.

salsa-ingredients s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom