Recipe Tomato/Zuchinni Casserole

joycemcgregor

Veteran
Local time
4:53 AM
I was looking for something new to do with vegetables. I came across this recipe and it was even a hit with my 8 year old grandson who normally does not care for zuchinni. It was not difficult and was really good. Here is the recipe:

zuchinni tomato cassarole
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
2 medium zucchinis, thinly sliced
5 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
3/4 cup fine bread crumbs

1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Lightly butter a 9x9-inch pan.
In a large bowl, combine Cheddar, Parmesan, oregano, basil, and garlic.
Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Arrange half of the zucchini slices in the pan.
Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese and herb mixture on top.
Arrange half of the tomatoes, and top with another 1/4 of the cheese mixture.
Repeat layers.
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
Stir in onions, and cook until soft and translucent.
Stir in breadcrumbs; cook until they have absorbed the butter.
Sprinkle on top of casserole.
Cover loosely with foil, and bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Remove foil, and bake until the top is crusty and the vegetables are tender,
about 20 minutes.

I hope that anyone who tries this likes it as much as we did. It will definitly be made often during zuchinni season!

I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did. My daughter and I love zuchinni no matter how it is cooked. I also make fritters with grated or small diced seeded zuchinni in it. And I make squash casserole with zuchinni mixed with the yellow squash,,, I also add small diced carrots, onions, and celery to it and if I want it for a main dish, I add diced ham. Yum.

Last edited:
I live over zucchini so I am definitely going to give this recipe a try. With all the ingredients listed I have no doubt that it will be a bit at my house as well. Thanks for posting this. It is always great to see new veggie dishes.

I was looking for something new to do with vegetables. I came across this recipe and it was even a hit with my 8 year old grandson who normally does not care for zuchinni. It was not difficult and was really good. Here is the recipe:
As it happens I have a glut of courgettes (zucchini). This is not because of a bumper harvest but rather my incompetent on-line shopping! So, I'm interested to try this. Did you serve it on its own or was it a side dish?

Back
Top Bottom