Tomatoes - what to do with them

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
1:01 AM
A friend's wife delivered a bag of freshly picked tomatoes this evening. There are red ones, green ones, small ones, ones as big as yer 'ead. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

And I've just finished making salsa.

Any suggestions would be be appreciated.

Fabulous! They will make a fantastic tomato tart - here is one of mine. But you will need to make or buy pastry.... I haven't noticed any of your recipes using pastry. :whistling:

This one is without goat's cheese:
DSCF3152.jpg

I decided to use the flash. These are they:

Bobs tomatoes s.jpg

And you are correct - my adventures with pastry have been pretty pathetic therefore I tend to leave it to other folks.

Do you have enough green ones to make green tomatoe chutney. Delia Smith's recipe is delicious.
I made it one year when I tried growing tomatoes in grow bags on the patio but I had to harvest them when they were green when the whole lot got blight. It rather put me off trying to grow tomatoes until one day I hope to get a greenhouse.

Take your ripest two, slice them, and put into a container with worchestershire sauce. Let marinate on the counter overnight.

If'n you want to get fancy, add some grated horseradish and roughly cracked black peppercorns, marinate, then serve with vodka for a deconstructed bloody mary.

For the just ripe ones, get a loaf of nice white bread, toast a few slices, and make a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich with mayo

Take your ripest two, slice them, and put into a container with worchestershire sauce. Let marinate on the counter overnight.

If'n you want to get fancy, add some grated horseradish and roughly cracked black peppercorns, marinate, then serve with vodka for a deconstructed bloody mary.

I love Bloody Mary - you mean serve the tomatoes on a plate alongside the vodka in a glass? Sorry if I'm being thick.

Yes, I've found that the tomatoes can only absorb so much, so it's a cool little appy / amuse bouche to serve a worchestershire and horseradish marinated bit of tomato in a spoon or on a toothpick, and a shot of vodka to go along.

I mean I usually just marinate the tomatoes, then without any semblance of decency suck up everything from the dish or plate: tomato, seeds, juice, and mucilage. Then a shot, lol.

Yes, I've found that the tomatoes can only absorb so much, so it's a cool little appy / amuse bouche to serve a worchestershire and horseradish marinated bit of tomato in a spoon or on a toothpick, and a shot of vodka to go along.

I like that so much! :dance: I have some wonderfully named Orange Rapture tomatoes which I am going to pop into Worcestershire Sauce tonight. I hope they sleep well. I'll post a picture tomorrow! The vodka is in the freezer.

IDShot_540x540-12.jpg

Mmm, that looks good. I'll have to give Tobasco a try.

What did you think of it?

Another idea for the ripe, red ones is a margherita salad.

Alternate slices of tomato, buffalo mozzarella, and julienned fresh basil leaves.

Top with a drizzle of thickened balsamic vinegar.

If you can't get real mozzarella di bufala, then just use regular water mozz, not the low moisture stuff like you would use on pizza or chicken parm.

Now, if you only have low moisture mozzarella, tomatoes, and fresh basil, slice a baguette in half and smear with garlic butter. Put both halves under the broiler for a moment, then place tomato slices and shredded mozz on top of one half and put back under the broiler to melt the cheese. Top with shredded fresh basil, extra virgin olive oil, red wine or balsamic vinegar, and a tiny pinch of dried savory or oregano and serve as a sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom