Topsy turvy tea

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
3:58 PM
The amazing burger cake by @medtran49 reminded me of when a friend wanted to make an afternoon tea where everything looked sweet but were actually savoury and asked for recommendations. I came up with:
Scones, jam and cream = Cheese scones, cream cheese and chilli jam
cheesecake = savoury (feta/goats cheese) cheesecake with onion/tomato jam

And the other way round I can think of:
Sausage rolls = Sausage roll shaped pan au chocolat
vol-au-vents with mayo-mixed filling (egg, prawn, etc) = vol-au-vents with cream and chopped fruit (peach?)

I'm sure you guys have a lot of ideas.

Heston Blumenthal is the master at this!

Here is something I did which is not topsy turvy but a similar idea - what do you think it is?

fullsizeoutput_e3b.jpeg

The topsy turvy post title reminded me of the topsy turvey cakes I made for 2 of my granddaughter's birthdays. One was a 3 layer silver iced with pink, blue, purple luster dust dry brushed swirls with a tardis on top. She's obviously a Dr. Who fan. The other 1 was a neon pink, blue, green and purple iced 4 layer cake, each cake separately colored, with fondant cut-outs of different animal prints on each layer. They were fun to make.

Last edited:
Back to original post, we made a crab cheesecake once. It was pretty good. He took some to work and asked the ladies if they wanted some cheesecake. They eagerly accepted since that was back in the day when I was still baking fairly regularly and they figured it was a dessert cheesecake. They were NOT happy with him when they didn't get their sweet.

I have to admit, I probably wouldn't have figured that out if I hadn't been looking at the molecular gastronomy cookbook and saw where you could make "jello" shots without needing the little cup to hold the jello.

I used cling film, twisted and suspended (precariously) in the fridge. The setting agent was agar agar. I have tried making mock caviar using molecular techniques though.

Heston Blumenthal is the master at this!

Here is something I did which is not topsy turvy but a similar idea - what do you think it is?

View attachment 15079
I remember this! Another Heston inspired idea I played around with was miniature Christmas puddings that were actually savoury. I will try and find the photos.

Back
Top Bottom