Tradition of the Christmas pickle

Dados1950

Über Member
Local time
1:43 PM
Those of you who celebrate Christmas, do you enjoy the tradition of the "Christmas pickle" ?

For those who ask "What's that ?"

You hide a green pickle ornament on the tree (very popular...can get many places).

When kids are done opening gifts, they look for the pickle ornament...first one to find gets an extra gift from Santa.

My "kids" are 38...34...32 and they still enjoy the tradition.

Merry Christmas to all.....and to all a GOOD NIGHT !!

Ha ha... I thought this was going to be a thread about Christmas pickles (as in types of pickle). The hiding of the pickle ornament isn't a tradition in the UK so this is new to me. I wonder why its a pickle?

...my curiosity led to this:

In the 1880s Woolworth stores started selling glass ornaments imported from Germany and some were in the shape of various fruit and vegetables. It seems that pickles must have been among the selection!

Around the same time it was claimed that the Christmas Pickle was a very old German tradition and that the pickle was the last ornament hung on the Christmas tree and then the first child to find the pickle got an extra present.

However, the claim that it's an old German tradition seems to be a total myth! Not many people in Germany have even heard of the Christmas Pickle! (Similarly in Russia virtually no one knows the supposedly Russian story of Babushka!)

Some families now have the tradition of hanging the pickle on the tree, with the first person/child to find it getting a present. But it probably didn't start in Germany!
https://www.whychristmas.com/customs/christmaspickle.shtml

Unknown-186.jpg

I am fascinated by Christmas traditions. Christmas Pickle is a new one. Of course it could be anything. A cool idea - hide any special ornament in the tree for a young one to find. HMMM! We have young ones - my great nieces and nephews - think I may hide a special ornament on the tree for them to search for. Maybe 2 one for the tiny ones and another for the older ones. Thanks for the ide.

Back
Top Bottom