Recipe Traditional Navarre Cardoon Soup

Francesca

Local time
5:49 PM
Traditional Cardoon ..

In Navarre, The Basque Country, on the French border of The Iberian Peninsula and Aragon, 3 hours north east of Madrid, is the land of the wild cardoon stalks. A member of the Thistle family and a close cousin to the artichoke, a huge celery looking stalk type vegetable, with a tough outer layer of threads to peel, has a delectable interior ..

This vegetable has a very short growing season in Navarra, and Aragon, from late late November to the end of February and the wild range from 36 height in length to 50 inches in height ..

It can be frozen for later usage as well once prepared ..

Traditional Navarre Cardoon Soup ..

For a Neo traditional touch, I sautéed baby squid and drained thoroughly and added to soup at the very end .. For carnivores, one can add Iberian Ham or Pancetta ..

cardoonsoup20150318_140911.jpg

Recipe for 4 :

1 Kilo of Cardoons ( peel the stalks after you boil for 15 minutes in salted wáter and dunk in ice wáter until cool so you can peel from the top to bottom ) .. You can buy jars of Cardoons as well however, they shall not taste the same .. )

1 or 2 Lemons
Vegetable broth ( for simmering the cardoons sliced in 5 Centimetre pieces - as in photo )
Evoo
salt
parsley fresh minced ( a handful )
almonds ( toast them and then put in a mortar and pestle or food processor with garlic cloves
1 large potato or 2 small potatoes ( you can use cream if you wish to thicken the soup)
Smoked Spanish Paprika Pimentón - to sprinkle

1) clean the cardoons and remove the thick threads from the exterior layer of the stalks ..
2) Chop the stalks into 5 centimetre chunks ..
3) In a stock pot, put some wáter and salt ..
4) Boil the water and the vegetable broth and simmer médium to high flame ..
5) Now, put the cardoon chunks into the water and simmer on a low slow flame until tender ( 30 mins to 45 minutes ) and squeeze the juice of the 2 lemons into the cold wáter ..
6) In Evoo, sauté toasted almonds until the almonds are tender and quickly add 2 cloves of garlic minced and sauté stirring until gden ..
7) Slice the potatoes and boil in a separate pot of boiling salted wáter
8) When the cardoon and the potato are tender, drain the potatoes thoroughly and combine with a standup mixer or food processor the cardoon and the potatoes
9 ) Now add the salt to taste, freshly ground black pepper, parsley and the toasted almonds drained of all Evoo and the garlic and stir to combine ..
10 ) Serve with extra almond garnish .. And sprinkle with Pimentón ( Smoked Paprika )

Crusty rustic bread and a bottle of Navarre Rosé Julien Chivite ..

Last edited:
I had to look up cardoons as it isn't something available in the UK. I'd like to taste them but doubt I will be able to find any.

@jennyb

The wild cardoon is indigenious to Navarre, Provençe, Northern Italy and northern Greece & northern Croatia and Cyprus ..

However, the perennial is cultivated in the U.K. by The Royal Horticultural Society ..

It is sublimely sensational and one of my favorite vegetables .. It is laborious to peel the threads on the exterior .. However, it is worth the time .. It does not have a similar tasting profile to Celery .. And cannot be eaten raw .. And 1 more thing, freezes well ..

Thanks for your interest ..

It does not have a similar tasting profile to Celery

Didn't quite understand this - it doesn't have taste like celery? How does it taste? I am really wanting to try this vegetable! I am thinking that it might be a little similar to globe artichokes which are also a thistle.

This article sings the praises of the cardoon!

Bring-back-the-great-cardoon.html

@morning glory

Absolutely amazingly scrumptuous !
And so versatile ..
However, like shellfish, the key to the success of a cardoon soup, is, patience ! They are quite laborious to peel ..
Wonderful article .. Thank you very much for the link ..
Have a lovely evening ..
Thank you .. They have not disappeared in Navarre !

Last edited:
Didn't quite understand this - it doesn't have taste like celery? How does it taste? I am really wanting to try this vegetable! I am thinking that it might be a little similar to globe artichokes which are also a thistle.

@morning glory,

It does not taste like celery, which is eaten raw as a cruditie or used in vegetable stock and stews. Celery tends to have a "slightly bitter however, very refreshing profile " ..

I have never eaten Cardoon raw .. I have always prepared this Navarran récipe with or without squid .. The taste profile: Sublimely refined, slightly like the inner most part of an Artichoke yet Chard / Escarola .. Yet, less tangy or bitter .. It is incredibly delicious .. It has its own flavor profile ..

Have a nice evening ..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom