Traditional New Year's Food

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
9:46 AM
What are your traditional New Year's day foods?

Black eye peas and cabbage are traditional southern fare on New Year's day. Health, prosperity and luck. I usually slow cook dried black eye peas with ham hocks and Tasso. G makes his tart slaw. If G is home I will probably bake a ham and make Mac and Cheese.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/georges-tart-cabbage-slaw.11614/

Last edited:
I'm not Scottish but a Haggis is what I like - traditionally its supposed to be on Burn's night (25th Jan) but I love it, so that is what I'll be cooking for me and my friend in Saffron Walden on the 1st Jan. I don't make it from scratch BTW.

I'm not sure there is a traditional New Year's Day food in the UK...

My Mum has always made something with oranges but I'm not sure it is a traditional thing for England or why she does that. I must ask her. She makes very good marmalade in January from the Seville oranges which arrive then. This year me and my friend are going to a New Year party which is Chinese themed so there will be a Chinese buffet.

31st: A three course Fondue + 12 grapes at Midnight ..

1st: Sincé we always travel on this day, a light brunch 11am - 11.30am: Gravlax with capers, with a salad or Eggs Benedict or crèpes or a tiny individual paella marinara served in a tiny pallera pan instead of on a plate, grilled prawns and / or calamari for a tapa with a very tiny salad .. Something light and enjoyable with Champagne or Cava .. Fruit and cheese for dessert course is common for us ..

Paella Marinara is quite common on this day .. However, we are travelling so we shall be uable to enjoy my Mom´s ..

Last edited:
Made a run to the supermarket. Dried black eye peas soaking. Have ham hocks and pork Tasso. Will cook in the slow cooker all day tomorrow.. Have a head of green cabbage and green onions for George's Tart slaw. A relatively small smoke cured pork ham in the fridge. :banghead: I forgot to get the ingredients for my mac and cheese.

We really don't have any traditional fare for New Years day. On the 31st we will probably make a cheese and charcuterie board, bellini with caviar and pop open the flower bottle of Pierre Jouet.

I soaked my Black Eyed Peas over night. I was going to cook them in the slow cooker but decided to make a double batch. We both love beans and peas and it freezes so well. SOOO - a large soup pot simmering on the range top.

I soaked my Black Eyed Peas over night. I was going to cook them in the slow cooker but decided to make a double batch. We both love beans and peas and it freezes so well. SOOO - a large soup pot simmering on the range top.

I wonder why they are called black-eyed peas when they are beans? In the UK we call them black eyed beans - I'm cooking them tonight in a stew with jalapenos, black beans, carrots, red and yellow peppers and Brussels sprouts (the latter cooked separately to retain colour and added at the end). Served with brown rice. Do I guess I'm joining in a bit with the black-eyed peas American tradition.

We had a couple of New Years traditions. Had being the operative word here.

It started with a friend's party on New Years Eve where she always served 3 dishes... Well, 2 with extras.
The first was her 'famous' chilli con carne and the other her ratatouille. They were served over either rice of jacket potatoes.

Then it would be my Grannie's New Years Day party. One of the few times I ever saw my parents walk anywhere. It's wasn't far, only a couple of miles. It was often snowy back in those days (a couple of decades ago now, if not three or so...) I didn't mind the walk and it stopped my parents drink driving in the days before even seat belts were compulsory. My Grannie would cook another turkey with all the trimmings and many extras along with the eating of her Christmas cake, a trifle and mice pie, Christmas pudding and more. There was always jelly for the younger ones in the family and I am to remember loads of cakes, Victoria sponge cakes, chocolate cake and those chocolate covered corn flake cakes with smarties hidden inside (homemade) . It was a full family get together, mandatory. My mother was one of three and each of them had many children (two of them have 5 children each etc) so it was always a full house and noisy. It was a mid day lunch affair often running till way after dark. Everything had to be eaten.

I somehow never really remember how we got home!

Back
Top Bottom